Fender Bassman 70

Toad Rush

Hey, i'm finally getting a new amp! Moving up from my cheap marshall combo. I'm thinking about getting the Fender Bassman 70(for 250) and running it into a 4x10 cab. I'll be using this for distortion (big muff, rat, tubescreamer) and also clean sound. Playing progressive-rock, is this a good buy or can i get something better for the money? I need all the opinions i can get =)

For a guitar? I doubt it would sound any good. It's nothing like a vintage tube Bassman.

ahh yeah guitar, really =(. Poo, on harmony-central it got some good reviews for guitar and bass. Actually i think they said it sounded better with guitar than bass, but thats their opinion and they could be wrong. I need something relatively cheap, i really wish i could get a Mesa but thats out the question price wise pretty much :(

Hi,
In the $250-$350 range, you should be able to find a Sovtek MIG 50 (50 watt tube head w/o master volume), or a MIG 60 (60 watt tube head with master volume).
These are both wonderful amps at any price!
The MIG 50 has more of a "Fender" sound, while the MIG 60 has more of a "Marshall" sound.
YMMV, but not by much. ;)

Take care,
Tony

HEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY

Hold on...

Are you talking about the NEW Bassman 70 or the old silverface or blackface heads???

I have a 72' silverface head (but the 50W) and there is NO AMP on this earth that sounds better with my guitar.

I use tons of pedals (have around 9 different distortions...) and the Bassman sounds HUGE. Nothing like it. Just like you, I used a Marshall valvestate 100 combo. This is astronomically better. My other guitar player has a Carvin 200W head & cab (I think it is) and the bassman 50 eclipses it automatically as soon as I set my volume above 2. YES, 2. It's loud as hell itself. Beautiful tone. Enormous low end response...very tight. The clean tones are also gorgeous.

It's a dream....

AND FOR $250!!!??? GO GET IT NOW! specially if it's the silverface or old blackface.

Ok...here is my head live...if it looks like this one...BUY IT!

Peace...

PC

Attachments

• silverlive.jpg
    silverlive.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 659
It's the silverface one from the 70s. Now between the two of you i'm completely TORN! :( :D Well, i may just go with the bassman cause all the mig auctions end in like 5 days and may end up more expensive by then, also the bassman is from a store and they checked it for problems/replaced stuff if needed so =D

Hi,
The "Bassman 70" head was made from 1977-1983. It looks similar to the other "Silverface" head, but it sounds VERY different.

Take care,
Tony

Toad Rush said:
In a BETTER way, or worse way? :D

Well, tone is a personal thing, but I'd have to say "not better." ;)
The Bassman 70, replaced the Bassman 50 in the Fender Amp line in 1977.
The early 70's Bassman, IMHO, is an entirely different amp from the Bassman 70. (It's still not a 1959 or 60's-era Bassman, but it's much closer than the Bassman 70 is.)
By the way, if you search on www.google.com for "Bassman 70" you will find quite a few of them for sale.
One link shows the "average market price" for the amp at $260.00.
Some people are asking $350+ for it, but there's also an ad for a 1981 "Blackface" model for $235.
The best thing for you to do, is to try the amp out (with your guitar and any effects that you plan on using with it).
If it sounds good to you, buy it! If it doesn't, keep trying out amps until you find THE amp for you.
You'll know the "right" amp the moment that you plug into it.

Good luck.

Take care,
Tony

Very true. I'm heading down to the store tomorrow so i'll be able to check out the amps then. I'll report back here as to what i got (if i get one, if i don't like the Bassman i'll probably buy a Mig on ebay). Thanks Noise and Power :D

Noise is 100% right...

Maybe I got carried away by my love for my amp...:D but he said it right: If u like it...get it! If not...then you'll find something you like later on... Some people like really crappy amps over anything else...it's a matter of personal taste...

And you are welcome!

Peace...

PC

ps: I will be posting some new songs sometime soon recorded with my bassman at www.sodiumchannel.com (my band's website) in the MUSIC section (where else? :P) so check it out for full bassman sound!

later!

I sold the silverface Bassman 50.
I sold the first year silverface Super Reverb.
I sold the blonde '62 Vibrolux.
I sold the blackface reverb tank.
And a bunch of other Fender gear I can't think of right now.

But the blackface Bassman 50 stays.

I hardly ever use it anymore (no effects and you've got to haul a cabinet) but when I can't get the tone I'm looking for it always comes through.

ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh

Man...you made me shed a tear...

what happened? Near starvation, mortgage or you just did not like 'em?

Peace...

PC

I use a silverfaced '77 bassman 135. It sounds great, even better after its been on and played thru for about an hr to heat it up.

Re: ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh

PowerCouple said:
Man...you made me shed a tear...

what happened? Near starvation, mortgage or you just did not like 'em?

Peace...

PC

Someday when I can bring myself to it, I'll list the guitars I've pissed away.

No, it's not starvation, just generating money for other gear. It would be nice to have it all back however.

Back