Felt Marker Labelling on CD's

Mew Sick

I want to scribble labels on some of my CDR's. Are most felt-tipped markers okay for this, or can some inks ruin my data?

As long as it's one of those potent smelling felt pens and you breath a lot of the fumes, everything will be okay....now you are getting sleepy...your eyelids are getting heavy...heavy...sleep...you are asleep...when you wake up you will send me all your money...sleep....

You want to use a non-toxic marker, one that is water soluble. Other types can react and eat through the CD-R.

No offense Emeric but I think Monty's right (DEEP SLEEP!) as long as it's on the back it's not going to hurt the data. Water soluables rub off.. I've used Permanent markers for years (I write the serial numbers etc.)and never had a problem.

By back, you mean the TOP? That's the most critical area! Scratches (within reason) on the top are far more fatal than the bottom/front. I set any non-jewel case CD's reading side down, not up. But yeah , I think the media has gotten better over the years, and it's not as important. But toxic/volatile pen's are not the way to go, why take chances?

Back