Feeler -- anyone interested in an art snare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacanger

musician and audodidact
Just putting out a feeler. We've been buying snare drums to rebuild -- new snares and heads always, new rims and lugs usually -- and decorate. Hayley's a fantastic painter, as well as a professional seamstress, so she's doing some trippy art on some, and I'm working on designing some oiled-leather wraps with all brass hardware (actually considering making a 4-piece set like this from Keller shells for myself).
Would anyone here be interested in getting a snare like that? Sizes, materials, and prices vary depending on what we put into the drum and what we can find. Also thinking of buying a lot of nice snare cases to display and sell them in. How d'you think people would respond to something like this? Or is someone already doing stuff like this and I'm way behind?

Some of the custom makers are already doing some awesome shit, art wise, wrap wise, carving wise, so you are somewhat behind and the market for their stuff is somewhat limited.

If you're going to cover a shell, keep in mind that it will in some way affect the tone and resonance of the timber..............and not necessarily in a good way.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what a drum looks like, it is it's quality and how it sounds that is important.

:cool:

ausrock said:
Some of the custom makers are already doing some awesome shit, art wise, wrap wise, carving wise, so you are somewhat behind and the market for their stuff is somewhat limited.

If you're going to cover a shell, keep in mind that it will in some way affect the tone and resonance of the timber..............and not necessarily in a good way.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what a drum looks like, it is it's quality and how it sounds that is important.

:cool:

Ah... oh well. Maybe I'll try a couple and put them in the guitar shop anyway -- it's a tiny town, and no one here seems to have heard of the internets.
Yeah, I know that pretty much anything I do to a drum is going to change it -- especially if I cover them in fabric or leather or whatever. But most of the bands I deal with (at the Ballroom) seem to be going for look instead of sound, so who knows, maybe I'll get lucky :D. At this point I've already bought enough stuff to fully rebuild three drums (including two old drums to work on -- still have to pick out a third), so it's too late to back out. :o

i looked up costs to build drums outta keller shells and new hardware. snare came to like $200 just in parts, not even including finishing.

add in labor and you'll find it hard to be able to sell for less than $400.

tought to sell a snare for $400 wihout a name brand and after all, its just anutha maple snare i guess :)

good luck.

Well, what I'm mostly doing is actually buying used snares for super cheap, and getting a lot of NOS parts and whatever -- scrounging, eBay, etc. -- to save on costs. So what we're really looking at is about $150 for parts for each drum, plus $50 for a nice hardshell case, so I could feasibly sell for $250 or $300 and still make something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back