Feedback Techniques

Fantastic_Mad

Yo, I've been experimenting with my guitar and amp trying to get different sounds, and I got to where I wanted to create some feedback from the amp that would go with soloing. Just strike a note, let it sustain, and get some really pale feedback is what I'm after. If any of you have ever seen the Chili Peppers live, John Frusciante gets some kick ass sounds with his guitar and amps. Do I just load distortion? I've got the Fender Hot Rod Deville with 4 10's, so I use the Drive channel built in with no other distortion pedals. I've experimented using a wah pedal putting it all the way on the treble end, which enduces a little of this sound I'm trying to create, but do you have any suggestions? Thanks all.

Compression, distortion and most importantly volume. It also helps to face the amp and get close to it if you need to. They have a lot of monitors on stage and don't need to do that so obviously.

I love controlled feedback. One thing I tried once was to take a parametric eq and sweep the spectrum and see where my rig feeds back the easiest. Then boost those frequencies to taste. Maybe get a stomp eq just for that purpose. Cheap guitars squeel easier as do hollows and semi-hollows. Pointing your axe at a cranked amp works the best though. Some rigs sort of swell with feedback whereas others just start screaming right away.

A good tube amp with lots-o-gain stages can really enhance your feedback ability without popping your eardrums. Propping your speakers up to guitar pickup level also helps.

For example, I can jam at low volume using a EMG-81 equipped ESP and a TriAxis with the speakers propped on a chair. The feedback seems to flow perfectly. Almost like the amp is performing fellatio on those harmonics.

i've found using a small hand-held speaker either touching the body or taped to the headstrock works quite well :)

Get Fernandes Sustainer Pickup

This is one of the things I did. You can even control the tone of the feedback!!!

Other thing to do: for example, I have an old overdrive pedal that I never used, so I boosted all the treble on it, and added some level & drive and placed it after the distortion pedals, so when I need feedback I just turn it on. Great high booster for solos also.

Peace...

PC

Here's a Gtr Feedback Example recording a POD and using a Champ Amp, GT2 and Volume Pedal for Feedback Control.

You can control when and where you want feedback with the Volume pedal. Set the GT2 (or your Distortion Pedal) for heavy Distortion and not a lot of bass or treble.

Crank the Small Amp and when you want the feedback, step on the Volume Pedal and move in front of the Small Amp's Speaker. Touch the head of the Guitar to the Amp for instant Feedback.

You can use this same method with a real amp, but you probably want the recorded amp speaker to be in another room, but use the Small amp for feedback Control.

Back