Feedback/Suggestions for Metal/Industrial Mix

Camazza

Hi guys, I've recorded a couple of songs for a local band and it's turning out pretty good.
However, there's a song that needs to be pretty heavily "overproduced", à la Marilyn Manson. I'm not a huge fan of this genre so it's turning out to be more difficult than I had anticipated, especially since the band's general "sound" and the equipment they use do not exactly "fit" this kind of production.

Here's the song: LINK

Now, this is only a draft, and I, as well as the band, am liking the general vibe. However, it needs to be way dirtier, darker and - well - fake.
They even pointed me to this MM track as a reference.
To achieve this more easily, we would have needed to change our whole recording setup, but I was not informed beforehand this was the desired result.

So, in essence, do you have any tips, tricks or techniques to make this mix sound like a 90s industrial-type song, given that the mix, as it is, is pretty clean?

I can deal with the vocals, but it's the drums that worry me... I want to stay away from sample, and achieve this with a good comp/dist mix, and maybe a nice dirty reverb to spread out a bit of this "cleanness".

Thanks in advance, and please excuse my english, It's late here in Italy and my eyes (and ears!) are too tired to read this again :D

Last edited:
I will say that you are best creating a soundcloud account and direct linking the player to this site. Many do not have a Dropbox account.

You will get more responses if a download is not necessary to hear your tracks. :)

I do and that sounds really good. I would hate to see you make it more 'fake' but I can vision what the band is after. Why they don't like what you have I would consider a fault in their judgment IMO.

I will say that you are best creating a soundcloud account and direct linking the player to this site. Many do not have a Dropbox account.

You will get more responses if a download is not necessary to hear your tracks. :)

I do and that sounds really good. I would hate to see you make it more 'fake' but I can vision what the band is after. Why they don't like what you have I would consider a fault in their judgment IMO.

Thanks for your feedback! That's what I think, too but well...

As for the Dropbox link, AFAIK you don't need an account to download the track! I modified the link nonetheless, and now the track downloads instantly when you press the button. I'd prefer to stay away from Soundcloud as it compresses audio way too much, defeating the whole purpose of getting accurate feedback.

I don't mind the dropbox link however I do like how you can embed the clip in the thread with Soundcloud instead of going outside the forum to hear something.

Anyway, I think what you have so far sounds really good. I can def hear Manson influences. The thing with MM is nothing makes sense. Its raw and against normal recording techniques. No telling how they actually recorded the drums to get that dirty raw industrial sound. I would start by trying to put a distortion plug-in on the drum bus and try to adjust it so it gives it a bite without overdoing it. It may or may not work but worth a shot. Their drums do sound farther back than typical modern recording. Putting a short reverb on the bus with a higher verb mix may help too.

I don't mind the dropbox link however I do like how you can embed the clip in the thread with Soundcloud instead of going outside the forum to hear something.

Anyway, I think what you have so far sounds really good. I can def hear Manson influences. The thing with MM is nothing makes sense. Its raw and against normal recording techniques. No telling how they actually recorded the drums to get that dirty raw industrial sound. I would start by trying to put a distortion plug-in on the drum bus and try to adjust it so it gives it a bite without overdoing it. It may or may not work but worth a shot. Their drums do sound farther back than typical modern recording. Putting a short reverb on the bus with a higher verb mix may help too.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm glad you guys like the mix. I was prepared to experiment a little bit with distortion and reverb, and there's actually a short room reverb and a pretty saturated tape sim on the drum buss. I'll try more extreme settings and see how it turns out. The fact is, as you guys said, that id makes little sense as the track is pretty solid right now, and it definitely doesn't lack in punch.

I'll keep you updated!

PS: If I remember correctly, there used to be a button in the editor that allowed you to directly embed an MP3 file and using the forum own player to play it. That's why I used the Dropbox direct link, but when I saw the button is now gone, I just posted the link!

It sounds great man. From what you're saying I think they would be happy with it as is. I mean if they use shit gear already, this will sound great to them LOL. I think they should just let you make it sound as good as you can and be happy with it.

It sounds great man. From what you're saying I think they would be happy with it as is. I mean if they use shit gear already, this will sound great to them LOL. I think they should just let you make it sound as good as you can and be happy with it.

Haha, thanks man! However, It's really not about the quality of the gear, it's about the process. If you want to sound like that, you come prepared. In the end, they used mostly stuff from the studio. They liked what they heard at the time. You can't just come to me when the mix is almost done and tell me you want it to sound completely different. That's how it was recorded, and that's what you get, if you know what I mean!

Back