Feedback please.....

RockinRobert

Please listen to the song "Answers" at this link and let me know what you think. A guy I don't really know sent me some lyrics and asked me to write a tune for them. This is the result. I recorded this on a PC using Sonar. I did everything except the bass guitar. Bass was done by a friend of the lyric writer. Mixed on cheap headphones. Constructive comments welcome, and thanks for listening! bOb

Hey everything has a nice "The Wall" vibe at first. When the guitars kick in at 1:23 it shifts a little away from that.

I like the vocal line I think a little less fx on the vox would be to my tastes.

There's a bump of the mic or something at 5:06, may want to go back and see if you can get that out.

I think the lead work is very tasteful and well done, good tone, writing etc.. but I think 4:00 minutes of lead is just too much. With the song topping over 7:00 minutes I'm not finding enough difference between the leads to keep my attention.

Overall a good song, good work.

Nice tune.I didnt get bored with the tune even though it is pretty laid back from start to finish.It sounds a lot like something "Petra" would have done back in the day.......maybe even Styx............vocals sound good too.....Bass
is almost non existant......I can barely hear it.....sounds like the bass part was played with a keyboard......nice kick...the snare is really weak compared to the rest of the drum kit....the high hat is a too loud....the snare is getting drowned out by everything.....the crashes are a little too loud and harsh......the 12 string sounds a little sterile,but thats to be expected recording it direct......the low end suddenly appears after the first guitar solo.......I think it's more or less an electric guitar supplying the low end......I really like the harmony guitars......thats about all Ive got....lol.......good tune.

Definately has a Styx/Tommy Shaw sound. Too much 'verb though. Not a bad mix for cheap 'phones, but some good monitors would help a lot.

OK guys, thanks for the responses! Here are my excuses up to this point ;-)
I record in my dining room and I use a bare minimum of equipment.
1.Drums are recorded through 2 Radio Shack PZM's (circa 1984). I tried to get the best mic placement, but the room is small. I have used an sm57 on the kick and snare, but someone was borrowing them when I did this, so it was the PZM's only.
2. The bass IS nearly non exisitant, I admit. The person who wrote the lyrics had his friend play bass...extremely nice guy but not much talent. The track was an MP3 e-mailed to me and had massive amounts of amp buzz in it. I set up a filter to get as much buzz as I could out of it. I tried to bury it enough to where the warts wouldn't show. The only thing I can say good about that track is that I usually don't notice it :-0
3. There is no 12 string, just a cheap Epiphone acoustic with a Fishman. Teeny bit of chorus on it.
4. Khompewtur...I think you listened to the wrong tune. Answers is only 5 minutes long, and the slide guitar solo is about 45 seconds....which I admit is probably still too long.
5. I use an SM57 for all the vocals through a Mackie 1604 VLZ

I appreciate all of your comments, I do tend to use too much reverb. Probably the cheap phones! I have a couple more tunes if anyone is interested in hearing. Let me know and I'll post the link. bOb

"JadionMusic: Sounds kinda 1980's soundtrack material to me. A little outdated."

Well, I just write tunes as I feel them. I don't know if your comment is supposed to be a slam or not. If I heard a tune that sounded 50's...bottom line would be do I like the tune or not? Why do we always have to categorize and pigeonhole music?
Anyway, I was asking for feedback on the production of the tune...maybe I didn't make that clear in the original post.
Can't please everybody! bOb

Back