Feedback on Studio Projects TB1

pjh6467

Thinking of buying this mic. It's in my price range $300.00 with the shockmount on AMS. Looking for any user experiences or something better in that $300.00 range. Will be used for vocals only. Thanks, Pj

pjh6467 said:
Thinking of buying this mic. It's in my price range $300.00 with the shockmount on AMS. Looking for any user experiences or something better in that $300.00 range. Will be used for vocals only. Thanks, Pj

Here is what Doug Robinson had to say. Maybe this will help you. Click For VTB-1 Info

mic

Thanks for the reviews guys. Seems the mics are somewhat compatable. But the V69 comes with the mogami XLR cable,windscreen, and mount. And seems to be what I'm looking for in a vocal mic. Pj

With all due respect those two microphones sound extremely different.

I could see (hear:)) how the V69 would sound excellent on OTHER singers,
but on me the TB1 was clearly superior, although YMMV.

Wouldn't feel comfortable using the V69 on an important track since having a
distinctive (though commercial!) type voice + its strong coloration was tonal overload.

FWIW there have been other well regarded mics that have also fallen short,
including the Neumann U87ai and Beyer M88, which can be A-1 on some singers.

IMHO unless you're planning to personally audition each (best way anyhow!), then the TB1 is the "safer" choice as it's much more neutral sounding.
Then you could do any EQing later during mixing, if applicable.

In addition, despite both companies having enviable customer service reputations, there seems to have been more defective V69's vs. TB1's based on user postings here and elsewhere. Am convinced that Marshall would back you up with a new one if need be, but who needs the potential hassle?

This is what soured me on the "Banjo Depot":) Oktavas BTW.

Chris

P.S. Dot (and anyone else), I hear the TB1 as being closer to dead center
neutral than the B1, which is a tad bright.

mic

Chess, thanks for your input. I'm going to try both if I can. It will be used for a variety of voices not just mine. Pj

Back