Feedback on some tunes please!

Jakearabble

hey,
alright well it has been a while since i first posted my first song on here and have fired up the old soundclick membership again and got some of my most recent stuff... i play most instruments save guitar...i gotta a friend who has played almost all the guitar tracks...and my other friend writes lyrics and sings...for the most part...there are some exceptions...have a listen let me know what u think...these tracks have been mastered by a local studio...other then that...all tracking and mixing was done at my house...
let me know

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/bouncethebandmusic.htm

-jake

hey

hey, sorry about that the songs have now been cleared on soundclick....check out the songs...namely only son and contamination
thanks alot all
-jake

Wow...I like Only Son a lot. Mix sounds good too. Is that a keyboard bass? The guitars have a kind of thin retro sound, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but it works here. Really cool vocal. Some timing glitches, but mostly just really well done.

thanks so much chris for listening...the bass is an actual bass guitar...however i am doubling the bass part with octaves on the piano
thanks again
-jake

I agree with the timing issues. Near the beginning it just doesn't sound 'tight'.

The lead vox sound a bit distant and flat. Snare could be a little brighter. not hearing much kick definition either. Reminds me a little bit of a Joe Jackson groove.

I would also try to get some better / brighter brass hits. Bring-em out front. They would be sweet.

There is something with the brass at the beginning that sounds a little out of tune. It is close, but not quite locked in.

Nice tune.

I'm new to mixing so I can't really comment too much on things you could improve on but my opinion on the songs is firstly that I'd buy your album if these songs are on it. They keep within your style without sounding too alike and getting boring so sound good together. Per song a few comments(I only meant to listen to Only Son but show's you got me hooked):

Adam and Eve: Not too much my taste but good enough musically. The vocals seem too forward in the mix for me(but as I said, I'll try and avoid mixing advice until I can do it)

Watch it Go Down: Good track - bens fold five/jamiroquai freshness

Stencil Balloon: Original, I liked it. Just found the chorus a bit incomplete - also the tempo compared with the verse seemed a bit disjointed until the end when you start the instrumental solo. But some good lyrics and melodies, interesting instrumentation.

Contamination: I have to listen to it four times in a row it was that good.

Only Son: This has got all the right ingredients - great. I'm still going to go for Contamination due to personal taste though. Once again a good contrast to the song before, not boring my ears.

I demand you release an album.

Wish I could give advice about tightening the snares and eq'ing the vocals at xxxMhz but for now I need to embarrass myself by asking this question:

Jakearabble said:
these tracks have been mastered by a local studio...other then that...all tracking and mixing was done at my house

What is the difference between mixing(adjusting all the volumes + stuff to make it sound right) and mastering?

I listened to Adam and eve and the vocals dont sit in the mix right. You need to carve a space for them in the mix. Maybe turn them down a bit, take some low end off them maybe. Just play about until they sound like they are "in the mix" and not "on top of the mix".
Good stuff though.

ecktronic said:
I listened to Adam and eve and the vocals dont sit in the mix right. You need to carve a space for them in the mix. Maybe turn them down a bit, take some low end off them maybe. Just play about until they sound like they are "in the mix" and not "on top of the mix".
Good stuff though.

That's what I thought too, but I'd put the word "very" in front of "good". Great to hear stuff like this. My only gripe would be the key solo - it doesn't quite flow for me and I felt a more interesting bass line would fit better in this part (but then i would, I'm a bass player :))

Staven, ecktronic and gary....thanks so much for listenin to my stuff and thanks for all the comments and kind words...stavencrows... our album should be released in a couple weeks...just gotta make some final tweaks and had it remastered....for the difference between mixing and mastering search around on the bbs because alot of people on here are wayyyy more qualified to tell you about it then me. I will certainly announce the release on here so thanks again!
-jake

Back