Feedback on Rock-Groove song

Douhgy

This song is called "Inside Your Head" by my band "Glikk." We are finishing up a CD and I am posting some preliminary tracks up so that I can get some feedback. Please listen to this song and let me know what you think about:

The song itself, the mix, the vox, guitar solo, and anything else that you want to comment on. Thanks.

here's the link:

very nice intro.

Very different but cool space around the lead vox.
Nice harmonies. singer(s) has a really good voice.

with the right push, could be a national song. I can hear it on a movie soundtrack.

I think if you work a little harder on the wildcard concept you guys could blow UP!

Score: A-

IN theory, a Wildcard is a song that makes you want to listen over and over again, and this successfully achieved that as I have been listening over and over. I guess you achieved a wildcard.

congratulations!

Thanks for the comments. Anything that you would change/fix on the mix? Another song of our is posted under this link:

This one is a little more mellow, but still has a good beat. I would really appreciate feedback on this one as well. (I posted this already in a thread called "How to Fatten/Clarify the mix.")

I dont hear anything wrong with the mixes. They pass the critical mark of quality i.e. they dont detract from the music.

One thing you will quickly learn is that the quality of the mix is not correlative with the public's enjoyment of the song. Of course, you could have your song professionally mixed and mastered and professional wannabes like those of us at homerecording.com will still find tons to "nitpick" about.

The mix is very good but only musicians listen to the mix.

The more important thing is that you guys have a good songwriter and the songs have some commercia appeal

Focus on the wildcard and you'll someday be great.

So, why do you write the way you write? Do you set out to write catchy songs or do they just end up catchy?

BY THE WAY, I am PMing you, so check your User CP.

I am the vocalist and one of the guitarists in the band (we have 2) and I do most of the songwriting for the band. When I write a song, I just go with the flow and it comes out the way it does. My songs tend to settle over time as I become more comfortable with the rhythms and vox. I also play guitar in the band so I write the songs with my guitar, then take them to the band to create the whole orchestration.

sounds good.. nice guitar tone and playing.. there is almost no bass drum that I can hear, but it's not a big deal.. maybe the cymbals/highhat is a little loud.. I don't know because I've been mixing a metal song all mourning..

cool song!

Well Holy Crap, you got Cyan to give you an A. I never thought I'd see the day. This made me have to take a listen.

I can hear what he's talking about with that wildcard thing, and finally I think i understand it better. Now at last i can sleep.

I hear shades of Brad Dolan and Sublime in this. Nicely done recording.

We still haven't officially hit our mixing stage yet, but I definitely am going to fix the kick drum. I think our kick may have been tuned too low for that good snappy sound. I'll play with it when we mix and hopefully I can bring it out a little more. Any ideas of what to do when it's tuned too low?

Douhgy said:
By the way Cyan, I never got your PM.

I mistakenly sent it to myself. No wonder I had a copy in my inbox. I thought that Hr had changed something.

I resent it so it should be there this time.

I let a friend hear your songs, and he really liked assim. I actually think that I prefer Assim too. It grows on one really stealthily.

Nice tune.....sounds like its missing some mid sound. I dunno, it might be my comp speakers, just sound a little dry. I think it might be the snare's fault, a little high sounding.

Overall sounds good

Douhgy,

I really like this!

It has the sound and feel of some early Joe Jackson stuff in the arrangement and vocals especially!

Mix-wise, I think the opening guitar and hats are about 1 to 2 db too loud in the mix. Otherwise, great stuff!

Cheers! :)

Very nice! I don't post feedback here too often because I find it hard to say nice things sometimes. I have a lot of good things to say about this, so here it goes. Your stuff definitely stands out. The first song was very good, but reminded me a little too much of weezer. I thought the second one (Assim) was awesome. I listened to it several times in a row (a lot of stuff posted here - I have trouble getting though the first 20 seconds). I would agree with the others that you guys have good pop market appeal. I think the only thing holding you back might be the comparison to weezer, but what do I know.

As far as the mixes... I thought the electric on the first song was a little tinny, and could use a little more sustain or reverb. I liked the acoustic guitar on Assim a lot. Very cool ambience in this song. I'm torn on recommending more compression because as the songs sit they're easy to listen to. But it would definitely sound more poppy (and to some people's ears, professional) if you compressed the guitars and vocals more. Maybe even sing closer to the mic when you're doing vocals if you want to go with a more standard pop type vocal rather than sticking with the natural room sound you have going on.

Note - the "you're so hard to see..." harmonies at 2:39 on Assim drift a little out of tune. I would fix that up - you definitely got the skills to make it perfect.

Keep up the good work, and I'll listen on the radio to hear ya.

Cool sound. Nice progression.

I agree with Ghost on the mix comments. My only beefs.

Good work.

Back