Feedback on newest mix? - Climb The Wall

andrushkiwt

hey, this one approaches 50 tracks, a first for me. It's also the first mix I've tried adding a bit (2-2.5db) around 9-12khz on the master session. i think it gives a good open feel during the quiet parts, but tell me what you think? the slight battle there was making sure the cymbals weren't too loud or hissy. so, i used a MBC and lowered that band slightly while compressing it a little harder than the rest of the bands (nothing more than 1.5:1 on any band except highest at 1.6:1). i didn't mind lowering the dynamic range here a bit - it's a very dynamic song and i had some room to work with. i also found a bass chain i'm pretty happy with. how's the low end sounding? thanks guys, looking forward to the good and the bad.

https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt/climb-the-wall

Very cool song. Great vocals.
Sounds very clean until the minute mark and there's a big 300-400Hz build up going on (could be higher). Then it gets all nice and clear again. It doesn't mud up as bad at 2:25...3:05- has some buildup again. Even though the drums get very busy, they're distinct and fit the song right there. Just need to kill a bit of the mud (sounds lower there, like 200Hz maybe...I'm still not good at identifying frequencies). I think it's the bass that's causing the problems.
What is that thing in the R speaker? Sounds cool and obnoxious all at once. :D
Very enjoyable tune.

Very cool song. Great vocals.
Sounds very clean until the minute mark and there's a big 300-400Hz build up going on (could be higher). Then it gets all nice and clear again. It doesn't mud up as bad at 2:25...3:05- has some buildup again. Even though the drums get very busy, they're distinct and fit the song right there. Just need to kill a bit of the mud (sounds lower there, like 200Hz maybe...I'm still not good at identifying frequencies). I think it's the bass that's causing the problems.
What is that thing in the R speaker? Sounds cool and obnoxious all at once. :D
Very enjoyable tune.

hey, what thing in the R speaker? time marker, please?

i'm betting the buildup is around 200hz. i really had a few things working on taming it, narrow EQ cuts on guitars, guitar buss, bass, kick, master EQ too. It has a good punch in my car system, but I'm sure the punch is lower than that (maybe 50-100) and i could take out some more at 200ish.

glad you like the tune, it was a little different and a bit "emo" during the screaming parts, but that was intentional.

Yeah, I was trying to cut a sibilant yesterday using sidechain and I just couldn't find the frequency. Turned out I started at 5100 and worked up, it was at 4700Hz...I always guess high. :)

I keep listening. The cymbal in the left speaker gets really swirly sometimes when it rides (constant crashes). Give an ear. Could be a phase issue if it's live miked or just the overlaying of the samples if not...

Edit
Doesn't sound like samples. It's mostly right at the end.

yeah, that's what i was talking about. so, my DAW (Studio One 2 Pro) has effects called filters. basic concept, and probably used more on synths, but i throw them on guitars and mess with their parameters to get something unique and spacey sounding. the setting that makes it sound big and deep is the "resonance" knob. too much and it leaves a lot of feedback, too little and it sound too up close and flat. i even stack filters on top of each other to get really weird sounds. that's the fun/creative part in tracking for me! i find some cool sounds and then write leads with them. some of them are timing based (they will reach their "peak", if you will, every bar or 2 bars or whatever and then repeat) and others are open. The category of plug-ins it falls under is called "autofilters". makes up for me not having any stomp pedals or synths ;) thanks for noticing it and commenting on it. i spend time making sure those compliment the tune.

The cymbal in the left speaker gets really swirly sometimes when it rides (constant crashes). Give an ear.

yeah, i think that's the MBC on the highest band. its punching it a bit, i think. down and back up quickly. i should back off on its setting a little.

:cool: Gave about 5 or six listens all together. Really sounds good. I'll leave it alone and let others tear your baby apart for a while :laughings:

thanks a lot man. i appreciate the feedback you always give. give that article a read, if you have time. Modulation Filters or Envelope Filters

The mix is working for me - especially since the quiet parts and the loud parts are not incredibly different in volume. So you don't have that all too often sonic explosion so the mix and/or compression is pretty well done here.
Great writing and your vocals and arrangement are tops!
Oops - edit - the bass is good ....

The mix is working for me - especially since the quiet parts and the loud parts are not incredibly different in volume. So you don't have that all too often sonic explosion so the mix and/or compression is pretty well done here.
Great writing and your vocals and arrangement are tops!
Oops - edit - the bass is good ....

Hey, thanks. good to know on the compression. It sounded to me like I had room to squish it a bit and bring those sections closer together in volume. Thanks for the writing props. And vocals are definitely combinations of takes, as well as triple tracking in some spots.

Would like to hear the snare and vocals better during the loudest parts of the choruses--a little more separation. Nice work.

Would like to hear the snare and vocals better during the loudest parts of the choruses--a little more separation. Nice work.

I did have trouble keeping the snare as audible the entire track. I used a 4.2:1 and it still faded a bit at times. It might have been the way I wrote the part, I might have had the velocity of those hits too low.

Great song.

The arrangement is hit and miss for me. I like the overall structure very much. I think it is over the top when the drums go into death metal territory. I think the double kick takes away from the intensity of the song. I also feel that the drum transition out of the chorus 1 -> verse 2 turnaround could be improved. Maybe just simply go back to the same drums you had in the first verse instead of changing them up with the hats. As much as I appreciate variation, you already have wonderful variation throughout this production.

The bridge is brilliant. The verses are brilliant. The choruses are brilliant. Excellent, catchy and infectious vocals throughout every section.

I feel that the choruses are too dense and with too many overlapping/battling frequencies and the mix closes off when they come in. They are huge, but they are unclear. Mot getting that sense from the verses. If you can get the same balance of thickness vs. clarity in the choruses as you have achieved in the verses, the whole mix will be fantastic. As it stands, it wafts between great and okay.

Great song. I think this deserves an absolutely stellar, perfect mix. All just opinions of course. I don't have time, so I am not asking, but if I did have time, I would have loved to take a crack at this mix. This might be a good one for the "Mix This!" forum. Such a strong track.

Great song.

The arrangement is hit and miss for me. I like the overall structure very much. I think it is over the top when the drums go into death metal territory. I think the double kick takes away from the intensity of the song. I also feel that the drum transition out of the chorus 1 -> verse 2 turnaround could be improved. Maybe just simply go back to the same drums you had in the first verse instead of changing them up with the hats. As much as I appreciate variation, you already have wonderful variation throughout this production.

The bridge is brilliant. The verses are brilliant. The choruses are brilliant. Excellent, catchy and infectious vocals throughout every section.

I feel that the choruses are too dense and with too many overlapping/battling frequencies and the mix closes off when they come in. They are huge, but they are unclear. Mot getting that sense from the verses. If you can get the same balance of thickness vs. clarity in the choruses as you have achieved in the verses, the whole mix will be fantastic. As it stands, it wafts between great and okay.

Great song. I think this deserves an absolutely stellar, perfect mix. All just opinions of course. I don't have time, so I am not asking, but if I did have time, I would have loved to take a crack at this mix. This might be a good one for the "Mix This!" forum. Such a strong track.

Great review, and thanks so much for listening and commenting. A lot to cover there!

First, you caught me. I had difficulty with transitions in this song. Mostly because each section was a standalone piece, of sorts. They are each unique and have their own feel to them. That was intentional. But I simply didn't put enough time into working those transtions the way they probably deserved to be done. Nice catch and thanks for mentioning it. I'll work harder to clean that stuff up next track now that I someone is paying attention ;)

The double bass was there to compliment the guitars that are chugging in the same rhythm -to thicken the sound by copying how the guitars are chugging deep. I could have taken out a few kick hits every few notes, and it probably would have fit better.

Unfortunately, I want to learn to mix these on my own as I crank them out about one per week and it keeps me busy between work and school. My mixes have come a long way since I started a year ago. It's also difficult because people do not have access to the same autofilters I have and their settings are unique. The background string sound is actually a guitar with a particular envelope filter and delay, it makes it sound like a synth to fill out the space. Those things are too difficult to relate to someone. Plus there's 47 tracks! Haha. That'll take a day to bounce out and organize, for me.

I agree that there's Some buildup in the chorus and its mostly a problem relating to mixing on headphones and only checking the file on one or two other systems. I get impatient and want to move on to something else after a few days :) also, a real drum set would help with the sound. Right now, I am using an AudioBox USB interface and superior drummer 2.

Tips on cleaning up the chorus? Are you hearing low mid buildup? Around 200hz? I had problems there and already cut a few dbs from each guitar track and bass track, as well as the guitar buss, and master buss.

Thanks a lot, again. I appreciate your comments.

I liked it, and as others have mentioned the vocals were stellar.

I only listened on my laptop via earbuds, but the mix sounded a bit busy to me. I think the song could have a bit more power with less in there.

But overall, I'd have no problem having that on my ipod while I worked.:thumbs up:

I liked it, and as others have mentioned the vocals were stellar.

I only listened on my laptop via earbuds, but the mix sounded a bit busy to me. I think the song could have a bit more power with less in there.

But overall, I'd have no problem having that on my ipod while I worked.:thumbs up:

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Back