Feedback on new song please

I don't really like the sixties sound, but if that's what you wanted, then you got it.
Right now you can get incredible better sound without spending thousands of dollars, why stay in the past? is not a critic, it's just me thinking out loud.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply zero00. At least I got what I was aiming at.

I'm just into the retro thing at the moment, probably as a reaction to a lot of over produced stuff that's about at the moment.

I listened to some stuff I did when I was in a band a long while ago where we just stuck a mic in front of the band and played 'live', and I just wanted to capture a bit of that plug-in-and-play feel which seemed to get lost when I got bogged down with trying to make it sound like everything else that's around.

Plus it's a bit of an excuse to cover up my sloppy playing (especially the drums) and engineering. I can say I meant it to sound like that. :D

I think the feel is spot on, but I find guitar too loud. I think it's pretty cool and raw and leans toward Hendrix. The important thing is that you're happy with it, the musical direction doesn't matter.

Joey :):):):)

Toad I dig the track. I'm an analog freak so a track free of brittle sounds and some warmth is cool. The only problem I have with it is the drums. If you recorded everything like most of us one man band/recordists, sometimes the instrument we are least proficient on suffers performance or sound wise.

They're recorded well but the timing is a little off in spots and the crash cymbal (sounds like a mini china) doesn't add the punch that the track needs. A dark crash would be awesome and right in with the vibe of the tune. Still, very cool track, thanks for posting this man!

Thanks JRSIV.

I had intended to record the drums Glynn Johns style with a stereo pair, one over the snare (which I don't think I had placed right) the other over by the floor tom, and a mic on the snare and one on the kick. Unfortunatley I had a dodgy lead and couldn't find another so I dropped the one on the snare, which meant I didn't have as much control over it in the mix.

The cymbal is a ride I think (the kit only cost be £20), so I think I need to get a crash like you say. You guessed right, I haven't been playing drums for very long. Now I wish I'd not switched off when the drummers I knew started talking drums, and listened instead of glazing over.

Back