Feedback on new band recordings?

ssseals

Hey all. My new rock band recorded a 4 song demo in my basement studio over the last month or so.

If you don't mind giving some of the songs a listen from the link below, I'd like some feedback on the songwriting, performances & production.

Adobe Audition, M-Audio Octane & 2626 interfaces, MXL mics.

Thanks in advance.

www.myspace.com/meadowburn

That was an interesting, good listen. Hooks, movement, breaks an bridges. Shows a lot of promise for you and the band, as writers and arrangers.

The recording sounded professional, except for a bit dull. not too bad, though..
Real nice job! Vocals up.

Listening to cut 2 now...the bass dude has it goin' on. Another good arrangement. I hear Lynrd Skynrd. Nice vox melody...more hook...and the 6 note E piano line L...a tiny theme to glom onto...

Cut 3...more good stuff and eclectic instrument choice....melody and phrasing.....vox up. Stevie Wonder, Ray Manzerik, and lots of organization between the instruments...intellegent arrangement..

cut 4: vox up. Really like the bass player. Nice guitar part...Mike and the Mechanics. Moody Blues harmonies.

Eight of ten. A little brighter....and vox a little more in front. The writing and arranging and wordsmithing is right on. Like what you guys do a lot!!!!

My impression is that you kids are pretty good players, but you have someone producing you....coaching the arranging and getting you in a decent studio. Or you're older than you sound...or just very musically mature for your young ages. [I'm guessing late 20's?..but the influences I hear make me wanna say 40's at least!] And, Damn...how'd you assemble a band where everybody is a pretty competent, tasteful player?? The guys pay attention to what's important...and work as a team. Is it one mind behind the writing and arranging...or a collaberative effort?

Very strong stuff.

Nice music. Song 1 I definitely hear a Tom Petty resemblance. Your band could go places with the right management. The arrangements and performances are really good. Good luck.

They all sound great, dude. I really liked "If I Can" and "No One Knows". I'd be curious to know what bands you guys listen to and what your influences are.

Thanks so much guys. It's a long story, but it's a collaborative project produced by me & the band. I took my time putting together a band of some of my favorite players from previous bands I've been in. Communication is a key factor & we spend a lot of time hanging & talking about music in general.

There are two other songwriters along with myself that have been working on recording projects for the last two years & that morphed into the band thing. Each of us have at least a song each on these 4 songs as long as much co-writing along the way. I sing lead on everything here, although the other guys sing lead as well. The drummer is also very vocal in arrangements & production, which is nice for me as a guitar player to bounce ideas off of.

We also have a ton of original material to choose from, so when we choose something to work on, we use every trick that we have from previous songs to make it work as best we can.

I think it was good that we took some time off from playing live & spent time working on songs in the studio & listening to what worked & what didn't. I know in my case, when I came back to a live project, I brought that editing process with me this time & it has made a difference in my parts & performance.

Are ages are mid 30's-45. Influences are lots of classic rock, 80's pop, alt-country, electronic, indie... pretty much anything. This project is song-based, so there's a pretty strong editing process. We reference a lot of our favorite influences in many of our parts, so it's fun for us to hide easter eggs for our own entertainment, but some of those parts have become our favorites.

Thanks again. We're working on more stuff so we'll be posting some more things in a month or so.

I'm commenting on the first tune, because that's all I've time for ...

The mix is old school ... which is a compliment ... for it sounds soft and dull compared to some of the more modern "in your face" recordings ...

... and yet, the mix is dynamic, cohesive, well blended, and of professional grade ... mastering can pop this easily to the next level.

Performances are solid, writing is strong, arrangement is terrific.

All in all ... no nits from me.

Nice work, Shane.

Kev-

Back