Feedback on Grungy/Rocky/Punky/Alternative tune

During the verses, the drum rhythm is clashing with the guitar rhythm. It sounds pretty sloppy. That's EZ drummer, right? Maybe try a different loop.

During the verses, the drum rhythm is clashing with the guitar rhythm. It sounds pretty sloppy. That's EZ drummer, right? Maybe try a different loop.

I know what you mean; i weighed it carefully, and "slightly off rhythm" was what I wanted with this song so I stayed with the beat I came up with. there's an extra snare hit during the verses that just throws it off a tad, but again, I wanted it to be a little sloppy. nice catch though.

Any thoughts on the mix itself?

I liked it all apart from what VHS pointed out above. Those drums parts were just way too busy for what was needed in the verses and ruined the listening experience. A straighter beat would've kept in chugging along nicely with those guitars. Simplify that bit and you'll be onto a winner. Remember, more doesn't always mean better ;)

Everything else sounded pretty good. The chorus is really nice. Good levels on the mix.

Just those drum parts letting it down IMO. :thumbs up:

I liked it all apart from what VHS pointed out above. Those drums parts were just way too busy for what was needed in the verses and ruined the listening experience. A straighter beat would've kept in chugging along nicely with those guitars. Simplify that bit and you'll be onto a winner. Remember, more doesn't always mean better ;)

Everything else sounded pretty good. The chorus is really nice. Good levels on the mix.

Just those drum parts letting it down IMO. :thumbs up:

hmmm...i'll see if more weigh in with the same. it wasn't really about there being "more", just about playing something a tad off and giving it a looser feel. Uniform doesn't mean better either, to be fair.

thanks for the mix comments, I had a little trouble with dynamics in particular - especially the "hit" on 1 for the final chorus.

hmmm...i'll see if more weigh in with the same. it wasn't really about there being "more", just about playing something a tad off and giving it a looser feel. Uniform doesn't mean better either, to be fair.

Yeah whatever mate, each to their own and all that. Was just calling it as I see it.

I wanted it to be a little sloppy.

This line intrigues me as you say you want it sloppy/looser but the rest of the track, apart from the verses, sound pretty tight.

But hey, it's your tune man, don't let others opinions sway you one way or another. If you're happy with it, that's all what counts. I just gave my honest opinion and didn't dig those drum parts.

Good tune though. Really like the chorus. :thumbs up:

Yeah whatever mate, each to their own and all that. Was just calling it as I see it.

This line intrigues me as you say you want it sloppy/looser but the rest of the track, apart from the verses, sound pretty tight.

I think it was a fair statement, no? One isn't always better than the other. That being said, if it's something a lot of people catch as a troubling aspect of the song, I'd consider that I possibly got "one-sided" in the production - that happens when we do everything ourselves, right? Not sure what I said "wrong" here..?

But do they? the bridge is all over the place, the intro is sloppy and has a live and loose feel. Maybe the choruses sounded compact, in my opinion, but definitely not overall. Oh well, thanks for the input again.

I think it was a fair statement, no? One isn't always better than the other. That being said, if it's something a lot of people catch as a troubling aspect of the song, I'd consider that I possibly got "one-sided" in the production - that happens when we do everything ourselves, right? Not sure what I said "wrong" here..?

Yeah I totally agree with you, you haven't said anything wrong at all. I wasn't being arsey. Maybe it seemed that way but it wasn't intended.

But do they? the bridge is all over the place, the intro is sloppy and has a live and loose feel. Maybe the choruses sounded compact, in my opinion, but definitely not overall. Oh well, thanks for the input again.

The sloppy intro sounds good to me. I like the "live" feel to the track on a whole. Gives it some balls where others may fall flat. I just didn't fancy the verse drums much. But like I said, it's your track. If you're happy with it, that what matters. Mix wise it sounds pretty good here, to me.

:thumbs up:

Sounds like you put a lot of time into this. Really cool song. I have to echo what others have said about the verse drumming. It's like it just jumps off time and for me it sounds more like a distraction than something cool. My opinion only though.

That main guitar riff sounds like something out there in the Hard Rock genre....just can't remember what.

Thanks man, no worries. I did battle what to do with the drums there, and I was between a few possibilities, so I can understand what you mean. I tend to think people carry a negative tone when criticizing my music, so I'm at fault there, not you. That all helps a lot, so thanks dude.

That main guitar riff sounds like something out there in the Hard Rock genre....just can't remember what.

oh no! tell me if you find out what. I wrote this about 6 months ago after listening to the entire "With the Lights Out" Nirvana box set. my all-time favorite for sure. thanks for sharing about the verse drum riff.

yeah that main riff sounds, from what I remember, almost exactly like it. I did a quick search but didn't find it. I am hoping I will hear it on pandora or the radio and I will let you know if I do.

yeah that main riff sounds, from what I remember, almost exactly like it. I did a quick search but didn't find it. I am hoping I will hear it on pandora or the radio and I will let you know if I do.

K. I had "Breed" and "Dive" by Nirvana in mind, I believe. It was in the "style" of those tracks. I'll be a monkey's uncle if it's very similar to something.

Thanks man, no worries. I did battle what to do with the drums there, and I was between a few possibilities, so I can understand what you mean. I tend to think people carry a negative tone when criticizing my music, so I'm at fault there, not you. That all helps a lot, so thanks dude.

It's all good mate. I'll be interested to hear what you do with it, if you do change it.

:thumbs up:

I thought the guitar sounds were pretty good. That lead guitar stuff in the middle was kind of cool. I thought the rhythm guits had just a bit too much gain. They sounded OK, but with the gain dialed down a notch I think they'd sound just a little better. Vocals sounded quite good to me. Good singing.

I had the same reaction as the others regarding the guitar/drum interplay during the verses. The two parts just didn't gel and drive the song along.

I thought the guitar sounds were pretty good. That lead guitar stuff in the middle was kind of cool. I thought the rhythm guits had just a bit too much gain. They sounded OK, but with the gain dialed down a notch I think they'd sound just a little better. Vocals sounded quite good to me. Good singing.

I had the same reaction as the others regarding the guitar/drum interplay during the verses. The two parts just didn't gel and drive the song along.

Thanks TripleM. There's 3 pair of R&L rhythm guitars. I turned the gain up on one pair because they are playing the rhythm alone during the verses and it sounded weak without it...but you're right, in combination it's a bit much. Nice ears, thanks dude.

good to know on the drums...that seems to be the consensus.

Sounds like some easy fixes then. I'd turn down the volume on the really overdriven pair of tracks. Or just mute them altogether. And since the drums are programmed, just re-do the verses with a more straight forward part.

I liked the tune and the overall mix, not too crazy about the drums, sounds like the snare is out of time, around .48 is where Im referring to. Good job overall.

yeah, there's an extra snare hit during the chugging part of the verse. i purposely picked a loop that was a little "off" the beat, to give it more of a sloppy feel. Apparently, it was a bit too sloppy for most here. I would change it, but it's already up and I'm super lazy. thank you for the comment

Back