Feed-Back (As in Guitar Feed Back)

Hey Gerry:

I listened about 20 times in a row, and I have yet to hear a problem. You should understand that I'm notoriously dim when it comes to percussion issues, but I thought the percussion suited the tune very well.

Nice mix.

Thanks Chris 20 Times!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm starting to figure out how the Newbie thing works here and why some people have 1,000's of posts. I reckon someone is running a book on how many posts you can make without actually finishing a sentence or saying anything LOL Not you my friend. I'm tossing up to stay a Newbie forever or hit all the threads and post. Right...............OK............... but maybe those words are a bit long LOL In fact it looks like just a smiley qualifies
Only joking Chris thanks for lending me your ears.

Gerry

Nice sounds. The music isn't my favorite genre. But I think this was pretty well done. Interesting percussion. The lead guitar had a nice tone quality to it - maybe slightly screechy on the mids.

A little "reverby" on the guitar but that may be what you like. Sounds like there may be a delay there as well. Not sure about the tone on the keyboard part. It seems that something a little less "upfront" might be a little better. It tended to dominate the mix when it was playing.

But those are just nitpicks. Nice job.

Peace Green. ha ha. Get it? I slay myself sometimes.

Peace to you Triple M, Green or otherwise LOL. Not sure it's my style either I just like to throw the the knobs around and let fly sometimes. Too much off everything possibly Reverb, Gain, Delays a pinch of Wah and turn up the volume and blow out the dust from my head. LOL

Gerry

not a fan of the genre either but I think I like this.
Very unique rhythmic choices for the drums in a good way.
The reverb could be cut in half and still sound "dreamy".

Love the sound. Just a few thoughts.....IMO.. I thought the snare could have used a shorter reverb. It seemed to linger a liitle too long in the space after the initial hit..(maybe just roll some highs off the reverb?). The guitar was great....I actually like all the reverb on it....sounded quite trippy. They keys seemd to have too much of an initial attack then faded too quickly to its intended tone. Maybe something with a little more mellow attack (some sort of rhodes) would fit nicely.

I really did dig the airness to it (is air-ness a word?)

I think I know what you're looking for on the drums, it's the snare. It's too hot, and later it's dynamic when the rest of the kit is relatively static. The overall effect is very jarring on an otherwise mellow track.

I hesitate to suggest compressing it more because I don't think that is the answer. You seem to be going for a mellow jazzy feel on the kit, with a syncopated snare accent, and I think you are most of the way there. Maybe cut the level in the beginning, and bump it back up closer to the end. Actually listening again it's more involved than that. Hmm, maybe a compander.

Consider shifting the pitch up a notch or so.

OK it's 12:30 here which means Conan O'Brien is coming on, which means that Max Weinberg is about to play the theme music. Listen to his snare on that, I think that's what you need.

Otherwise I thought the tune sounded great.

This is a jazz sort of feel on the drums and a drummer would be using a brush or some hot stix on that snare rather than a stick. That's what messes it up. Also ....way too much 'verb on everything. I like that sound you get where the ax sounds a lot like a violin. That's cool. The tune sounds like you're jammin' and isn't very structured.....kinda loses focus after a while....but I like it anyway. ;)

Over all I really dig this song.

Regarding the percussion, since its a jazz-ish type song, you may want to try to play in a more "top heavy" or cymbal heavy style - check out any thing with Steve Smith on drums (with the exception of Journey) to see what I'm talking about. Just my two cents.

I'm listening to "It's Love Thats All" right now. I dig this one too.

Been away for four days and don't things move quick around here LOL Thanks ObeseArmadillo, Lt Bob, mshilarious, HogansHiro and fprod south for the listen and comments much appreciated and noted. Going by the general favourable opinions I'll move on to the next one.

Gerry

Back