Feeback on new rock track...

It's ok, there's some hiss evident at the start but it seems to be covered once the music gets into full swing. The background vocals are nice and in-tune, which makes a change for this board! I jest of course... ;)

The guitar sound, frankly, is pretty cheap and nasty. I don't know how you recorded it but it lets the rest of song down. Tune that guitar and if possible get hold of a good quality amp or amp modeller. Also, everything is panned dead centre, maybe you'll want to double track some of the guitar parts and pan the accoustic sound one way and the electric the other just a little.

It's evident that you likely didn't record this track with the best of mics, it more of an issue on the vocals, they just sound so dry and claustrophobic. Try and get hold of a good quality, budget condenser mic if possible.

re

wow thanks alot for the input..you're right btw. we're using a sm58 for vocs and a the lead guitar part was done on a little practice amp that can connect to your belt :)

would this be good enough for a demo to send to record companies?

Excellent advice from alchemist...I wholeheartedly agree...but just to add..I found the recording "dark". It lacked lustre. Especially the cymbals. I dug the drum parts though.
"lead guitar part was done on a little practice amp that can connect to your belt". Well that does explain alot...however...that Gm(G rock scale) Pentatonic aint cuttin it man. Try G Major pentatonic (same as Em (rock scale) Pentatonic)...and when the cat hits the E Major chord..try accenting the G# note sometimes. Just a solo concept suggestion man.
"would this be good enough for a demo to send to record companies?"...Hell no!

ok

i thought this was a purty good track! Shows what I know...

Maybe I can get your guys feedback on another song..its got some pretty good feedback from GB.com users. Its kinda in the sublime veinm though not on purpose (didn't even realize until 90% of the people said it sounded like sublime)

http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSnaVa_YGo

Again, I understand the prouction wasn't their (IYO) but did you guys dig the song (melody, mood, etc.) at all?

Thanks again big time!

Sorry dude as sooned as I clicked the link it started to download. I don't download anything unless I know I plan on keeping it. Get on the steeeeeeeeeem Man.

I really dig the main guitar part. I think the acoustic does it a lot of justice, but I do agree with firesole about the solo, I really didn't feel it. I think you could have done more with it. I would definitely take Firesoles suggestions into consideration, but if it feels right to you, then thats way you should go, it should be definitely be your signature. Take Scar Tissue by the chilli peppers. Totally lackluster solo, but it's "right", you know what I mean? Overall, I like the song man, I can't tell you how much I dig the acoustic sound that you got! I would just record the parts over again with some better equipment and play around with the mix until you've got a gem.

Okay I could'nt get the GB link to work so fuck it I downloaded it any way.
Really bizzare vocal. I verymuchso like it. I liked the awkward solo. It reminds me of a cross between Haydn/Beatles.
Production: Everything does not sound quite integrated in the mix, More like separate parts alongside each other(is that fifteen words yet? :rolleyes: ) Contrary to the others I think that the tonality of the guitar works but I would say that overall the mix is still rough. I'm not sure of what suggestion to make towards its betterment other than a dash of verb on maybe the backup and scratchy guitar.

In reply to your question way above, no it's not of a quality which I would send to record companies. Many demos these days are (almost?) on a par with commercial recordings and A&R guys expect a high standard.

Back