February Album Writing Month (FAWM)

mjbphotos

It's that time of the New Year again, folks! For a creative and zany escape from the winter doldrums, be sure to check out FAWM (February Album Writing Month). This annual songwriting challenge begins on 1 February and finishes on 1 March. The site has been revamped and is now open. Here's the new link.

Get ready for the new onslaught of lyrics, instrumentals, songs, and general madness & hilarity. Folks are already chomping at the bit, waiting to get started.
;)

Four weeks of fun, inspiration, craziness, and camaraderie, ending in everyone having new songs, lyrics, poems, or instrumentals, ranging from one to 14 and more. You set your own goal. Fourteen pieces of work in 28 days is simply a guideline. Even if you produce only one piece of work, you're a winner. After all, it might be the one piece you wouldn't have created if you hadn't joined us.

Newcomers, please note that the idea behind FAWM is to post lyrics or songs that are written during the Challenge itself. Posting lyrics or songs written months or longer beforehand is basically cheating, and defeats the purpose of the Challenge.
FAWM = February Album Writing Month.
;)

It’s OK though to post a song that started as a lyric in the previous Challenge (FAWM or 50-90) but didn’t get music until the current challenge (If you follow what I mean). Bottom line is to use the period from February 1stto March 1st to write and/or compose new material. You'll be amazed at what you come up with. There's inspiration aplenty!

NOTE: The pieces aren't intended to be final versions. It's all about just getting down the bare bones, whether lyrical or musical. The polishing and revising generally happens after FAWM has ended.

I'm 'mikeb' over there, search the 'FAWMERS' list for me.

This sounds pretty good. I don't usually gravitate towards these events because when I approach songwriting in this manner I tend to go blank. Virtually all of my songs just pop into my head, only a couple have been written on purpose. However... I have a little ditty swimming around I may be able to do something with when the time comes. I'll drop on over and make a go of it.

How long has FAWM been going? I had a quick look at the site and I see there are 1161 members? Holy $hit! So how does it work, I assume you upload music somehow and then chat about it? Is it mostly a social thing or is there more to it?

How long has FAWM been going? I had a quick look at the site and I see there are 1161 members? Holy $hit! So how does it work, I assume you upload music somehow and then chat about it? Is it mostly a social thing or is there more to it?
You upload your music to whatever site(s) you would use (like here) - soundcloud, dropbox, google drive, youtube, whatever... There are challenges and prompts and you #hashtag your songs after posting them on your page. You listen to, and comment on other's songs (its all friendly, no critiques unless specifically asked for), and they do the same for you. If you find people's music that you really like, you 'follow' them to get any news on your feed of when they post new songs.

Not sure how many active members there are, but typically over 10000 songs get posted during the month! This is my 5th FAWM, its been happening for at least 10 years.

You upload your music to whatever site(s) you would use (like here) - soundcloud, dropbox, google drive, youtube, whatever... There are challenges and prompts and you #hashtag your songs after posting them on your page. You listen to, and comment on other's songs (its all friendly, no critiques unless specifically asked for), and they do the same for you. If you find people's music that you really like, you 'follow' them to get any news on your feed of when they post new songs.
Haha, but I'm doing that already. I went to your Bandcamp page and listened to a few of your songs then hit the follow button :-).

Sounds like fun though!

I did this in 1995 on an Atari and an old keyboard and an analogue 4 track. The drum sound is terrible, bag of hammers... I hope to remix it one day and get a Jon Bon Jovi singer to do the vocal.... 😒

Attachments

• Where Angels Fear To Tread.mp3
    5.4 MB
Haha, but I'm doing that already. I went to your Bandcamp page and listened to a few of your songs then hit the follow button :-).

Sounds like fun though!
The idea of this is to get motivated to write more. Listening to others' work also can inspire.

Before the start date, I had an inkling of an idea which I put off developing until the challenge started. On opening day I came up with all the lyrics and chords in about 5 minutes. Then, as I tried running through it for practice, I couldn't remember how I phrased a couple of lines in the verses. I made a couple of minor changes to the lyrics in other places but there were two lines I really wanted in these particular verses yet just couldn't remember how to sing them. They've been kicking my butt for the past two days. Tonight I have broken through - with some minor revisions. Tomorrow, I'll try to get it recorded.

Damn! At this rate, I might get 2-3 songs in for the whole challenge:drunk:

Wow, I just looked at the FAWM site and there are already a ton of songs on there... and it's only February 3rd. That's impressive.

I just posted up my first song there. Hell, it only took 10 days to get that done. I'm no good at speed chess either.

In the spirit of the challenge, this is just a bare bones song idea.

Attachments

• You Don't Wanna Go 3.0 FAWM.mp3
    3.3 MB
Last edited:
Back