FD-4 vs BR-8?

bahead

I'm an acoustic fingerstyle guitarist focusing on instrumentals, although I will be doing some vocals and overdubs. My interest is in cutting my own CD's for friends and family.

I've previously used a Fostex 4-track cassette and I'm looking at digital multitrackers. In my price range (which is under $800 US), I've narrowed it down to the Fostex FD-4 (with internal 4.3GB HDD) and the Boss BR-8.

The FD-4 appears to win in terms of recording time, ease of use, and backup options (zip, SCSI). The BR-8 wins in terms of number of tracks and onboard effects. Biggest drawback to the BR-8 I can see it that it is using 100 mb zips instead of 250, and also that it uses compression during recording.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice about which way I should go... I've posted this in the Fostex forum too.

Just a suggestion, what type of computer do you have, and is it powerful enough to record on? You might get by cheaper, and be better off in the long run by getting a $500 range prosumer recording soundcard and have the best of both of those units. Something like one of the Event (Gina or Darla) cards would be cheaper than that. $800-$1000 range has even more great options.

I haven't used either of the units you mentioned, but I know the Roland compression from using my VS880, and it can bite you on softer tracks, especially solo acoustic stuff. I don't know if it's the same for both the VS units and the BR-8 though. I can imagine those 100MB Zips getting old quick. I've got a 1GB drive in my 880 and I'm always running in to space problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jon X:
Just a suggestion, what type of computer do you have, and is it powerful enough to record on? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, my computer is a powerhouse...P3 550 with 256MB RAM, about 30GB space. I've considered getting a PC card and using software, but the issue with computer recording is the lack of portability.

At this point, it looks like I'll go for the FD-8. Internal 4.3GB drive, no compression. It also has no onboard effects but I don't need them anyway... I generally just use a bit of reverb.

Bruce

[This message has been edited by bahead (edited 05-25-2000).]

Yep, that's certainly enough computer. Good point on the portability. If there's a way to transfer stuff between the FD-8 and the PC then you could get all the effects via software anyway. Plus the built in Roland effects aren't bad, but they aren't top of the line either.

That's a good question...I assumed I could just copy from the FD-8's internal HDD via the SCSI port to my computer's internal SCSI. But I didn't think about how that would actually work... maybe that's in the manual (it pisses me off that Fostex charges you to download manuals BTW, as I can't check this...). Worse comes to worse, I guess I could transfer to zip/ORB and then from there to the computer.

Back