Favorite Snare Drum Mic?

If you have an i5 or a 57 or a 609 or any of the decent affordable options listed above and you're still not satisfied with your snare sound work on tuning or buy a new snare drum (Ludwig LM402 :guitar:) or find a better room to record in.

If you have an i5 or a 57 or a 609 or any of the decent affordable options listed above and you're still not satisfied with your snare sound work on tuning or buy a new snare drum (Ludwig LM402 :guitar:) or find a better room to record in.

:thumbs up:

I use the Sennheiser 604 a lot, or sometimes the MD 441U (though I don't like putting a $600 mic within reach of drum stickrs)...and then of late, the AKG D1000E, with it's 3-position tone switch, you get quick options at the source.

If you fellas are hitting drum mics with sticks, or record people that hit drum mics with sticks, you need to work on your technique and/or find better drummers.

I completely agree with your comment! If you have a bad sounding drumset to start with, it doesn't matter how good the microphones are.... it will still sound horrible :)

Yup, I agree, especially with the Supraphonic comment. I've got 4 snare drums, one of them being a Supraphonic, and three of them collect dust. Guess which one doesn't?

If you fellas are hitting drum mics with sticks, or record people that hit drum mics with sticks, you need to work on your technique and/or find better drummers.

No one is "hitting drum mics with sticks"...but it can happen.
Like I said, I've used the MD441U on the snare in the past when I knew the drummer and his playing ability, and the drummer never hit it (I always position it so it's almost impossible to hit it without trying)....however, with the other inexpensive options I have (the Sennheiser 604 and the AKG D1000E or even a 57 or 609), I'm just not as eager to put up a $600 mic in that position, though the 441U really does sound good on snare, and if anyone has a 441U and willing to use it on snare, you won't be disappointed. :)

Been written that my collection of Earthworks microphones are the cat's meow on the snare but ... at the prices of these microphones Am not about to put them any closer to the snare than overhead duty.

I have a pair of SR-71's that see a LOT of use as overheads. The 441 as a snare mic ain't cheap.

MD441 is the best (not only for snare). Problem with physical protection from sticks persists, but can be solved with special side mesh, or partly with side foam.

This is 100% true.

Who the fuck is hitting their snare drum mic? Are there millions of cross-eyed drummers out there?

As far as using a bottom mic. It's one thing if you like the sound better. But if you CAN'T get a satisfactory snare sound with just a top mic, there's something wrong. Either the tuning, the actual drum or the room. But there's a problem.

I have tried bottom miking a snare, and I just did not like anything that came out of that mic. Added a lot of high end 'snap' that didn't really sound like what I wanted my rock snare to sound like.

I haven't mic'd a snare in eighteen years. If I can't get what I need from a stereo pair and something in the kick, then somebody's doing something wrong.

That said, my favorite snare sound ever had a Shure Green Bullet (yes, harmonica mic) on top and some little EV thing underneath.

I haven't mic'd a snare in eighteen years. If I can't get what I need from a stereo pair and something in the kick, then somebody's doing something wrong.

That said, my favorite snare sound ever had a Shure Green Bullet (yes, harmonica mic) on top and some little EV thing underneath.

This is my standard live sound support drum micing. Kick and overheads. :thumbs up:
Very rarely do I say *Wish I had a microphone on the snare*.

Last edited:

Yeah, I get most of the snap from the OH mics...but since I mic my Kick mostly from the inside, I still put up a mic on the Snare which adds some body to the OH sound. That's about it with drum mics.

On the bottom Snare mic, it's not really needed....but it can be used to mix in some more flavor from the drum's snares on some songs, and of course, it also picks up the Kick too. I haven't messed with bottom Snare mics in years, but I've seen it done in the studio with success.

Back