Favorite guitarists/soloists?

Leo Kottke, Harvey Reid, Alex Degrassi, Keaggy, John Williams, Eddie VH, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Pierre Bensusan...

I don't know half the names written up there! I don't own a lot of music, but of what I own, I have a few favorites.

For sound and attitude : SRV

For precision and melody : Joe Satriani & Steve Vai

For creativity and songwriting : Jimi Hendrix

These are the guys who have influenced me the most in my playing, though I like a lot of other guys. I don't know nearly as many guitarists as some of you have posted.

my fave

dimebag darell
james Hetfield
tony iommi
SRV
David Gilmour

and most of all Morello (RAGE RULES!)

- Steve Vai
I love every note he plays, he pretty much got me started playing guitar 12 years ago. Very versitle, dynamic, weird...and a great composer.

- Satriani
Same as above, but he is more traditional in my ears. The overall sound of his self titled album is amazing, THE DRUMS are killer, my fave blues album.

-Tommy Emmanuel
I am a true blue Aussie, and watched Tommy play at little intimate venues, MANY times front row center. One of the greatest techniques ever, BEAUTIFUL song writer and he is an absolute ham :D he always makes you laugh at his shows.

-Jimi Hendrix
Most influential guitarist ever, I don't think to many people would disagree. Not the greatest PLAYER, but some of the best guitar songs ever written IMO.

-Alex Sclonick
Anyone who can go from Testement to a 3 piece Jazz Trio has to be on my list :D I seen him live with his Trio, they played old metal tunes [old kiss, ozzy etc.] in jazz, it was unreal to say the least.

- Blues Saraceno
Gone from the guitar worlds as such these days, but his playing is as amazing as ever. To me, he just has the best note selection and feel...his album 'never look back' [I think?] was tremendous, and he was like 16 y.o from memory. Now in a band 'Transmisson ok' kinda pop'ish, not bad songs. His lead work is still perfect with the band, but don't expect any shred.

-John Williams
Another Aussie amoung the bunch :D I am not bias! One of the greatest classical guitarists period IMO.

-Paco De Lucia
See above, but in the Flaminco genre.

-Nuno Bettencourt, Paul Gilbert, Dwezil Zappa etc etc I could go on forever.

Gary Moore
Robin Ford
Dan Timinski
Eldon Shamblin
Steve Howe
Freddie King
Jimi Hendrix
Leo Kottke
Paco DeLuca
Jeff Beck
David Gilmore
Pat Thrall
All the rest for no particular reason.

My Favorites:

Frank Zappa (Mothers of Invention and solo)
Pete Townshend (The Who)
David Gilmore (Pink Floyd)
Travis Meeks (Days of the New) I like what he did with the acoustic - especially the 1st album
Peter Frampton (Solo and Humble Pie)
Kim Mitchell (Max Webster)
Pat Metheny
Dean DeLeo (Stone Temple Pilots) just for the riff in Sex Type Thing and being involved in Plush
Jerry Cantrel (Alice in Chains) Jar of Flies Album and Man in the Box riff [to name a couple]
Jeff Beck (Albums: Wired and Blow by Blow)

John

Back