Favorite "budget" condensor mic

fuquam

I'm looking for something around the $300 range for recording vocals so can anyone recommend a good condensor mic in that range. Shure or AT possibly?

budget condensors? why bother?

SM7, cause im sure your room sucks too. great mic, but no, not a condesor.

Heil PR40 - ElectroVoice RE20...

I've only heard recordings of the PR40 (not sure of the preamp & processing). It may very well be the next RE20. Very, very impressive. And without that crappy CLDC stridency boost. It actually has a mild boost where it actually comes in handy.

Massive Master said:
Heil PR40 - ElectroVoice RE20...

I've only heard recordings of the PR40 (not sure of the preamp & processing). It may very well be the next RE20. Very, very impressive. And without that crappy CLDC stridency boost. It actually has a mild boost where it actually comes in handy.

kinda like what you said but different, i kicked my re27 to the curb for a
heil pr30, and am MUCH happier for it. like, a lot.
waaaaaaaaaay better mic.

TragikRemix said:
budget condensors? why bother?

SM7, cause im sure your room sucks too. great mic, but no, not a condesor.

even if your room is minty, I would still suggest the SM7 as a first vocal mic. I went through a few cheap LDC mics and none are even close to the SM7. RE20 as JS of MM suggested is also a good choice, but more expensive and to me, not quite as nice sounding for vocals.

Don't know how much this will help, I just got an AKGp200 recently, and I am loving the results on vocals. Great depth and tone, it basically, (gasp) sounds just like the person singing...

Maybe I'm just a noob, but I'm not used to things sounding just like they do in the room... I love it. I feel spoiled by this mic. it's great.

Behringer ECM8000 ~$50
MSH ~$20

For $300 though you could do better. It's nice having those 2 mics though because they really are decent mics, especially the MSH.

Maybe look into an Audio Technica? They have several good mics in that price range. Especially the 4040.

knugen said:
Studio Projects B1. Cheap and works like a charm.

I've heard good things about the Studio Projects budget condensors, especially the mid-level ones but whatever you do don't get a SHURE budget condenser mic, personally I truly believe they suck.

pacman9000 said:
I've heard good things about the Studio Projects budget condensors, especially the mid-level ones but whatever you do don't get a SHURE budget condenser mic, personally I truly believe they suck.

How would you know? It doesn't seem like you've ever been able to hook up any recording gear because it's too hard.

knugen said:
Studio Projects B1. Cheap and works like a charm.
while i agree that the SP B1 is a fantastic (and even possibly "workhorse") budget condenser.........i would NOT put it up as a first choice vocal mic, nor would i consider it a workhorse vocal mic.

it's just far better suited for instruments and such rather than vocals.

i agree with the numerous SM7 recommendations.

cheers,
wade

SE Electronics 2200a

I did extensive research before I purchased this a year or two ago, it is a bit more prominent in the higher frequencies so it totally depends on what application you'll be using it for (suits my vocals perfectly)

Has won several awards and stuff.

Do a search, there's been dozens of threads on the question you ask.

Back