Favorite Acoustic Guitars

koolkkeith

Hi Hope everyone is having a great day today!

I am looking at buying a nice acoustic guitar,,,I'd like to know what some of your favorite acoustic guitars are...Ive been looking around and it seems to me that for the $500-700 range Martins are the way to go...Im looking at spending around 400 or 500$ but if a martin or a taylor or is that much better I would invest the extra into one of those...I like ovations and I have played a epiphone, but I saw a 12 string Martin today that I just fell in love with,,what you guys think? What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

I have the 8th Martin DM that was made a few years ago when it forst came out. It is an excellent guitar, with a flamey spruce top. It is actually my favorite acoustic that I own. They have changed it a little, but they seem to still be good guitars.
If you already played a guitar that you really loved...JUST BUY IT!! thats the best advise I can give you.
My next guitar purchase is a Taylor 814CE, so I do like those too.

H2H

Gotta second H2H on the Martin guitars. Excellent gear. Unless you already have a 6-string, i'd think twice about buying a12-string. I love playing 12-string and the sound is just amazing, but it'll never be my main accoustic.

micmac

Alvarez something-or-rather. No idea. But our lead guitarist gets EXCELLENT results with it, and I love to play it. Intonation DEAD-ON. Yummy. (not much to look at, your standard CSS&Y guitar...)

my guitar...

I have a Taylor 314-CE and I love it. My main instrument is keyboards but I can't seem to put my Taylor down! You should check out EBAY! I went on their yesterday and there are a lot of Taylors being auctioned off. Check it out!!

I like Taylors. I've recorded a 410 and a Baby, and own an 814-bce. I've never played one I would consider bad.

I would stay away from the Ovations for recording cause I don't think they sound as good as any of the Martin or Taylor models. And i agree about not getting a 12 string as a main acoustic.

I WOULD RECOMEND THE MARTIN DM TO ANYONE.
I HAVE HAD MINE FOR JUST UNDER A YEAR NOW, I PAYED
£600 U.K. FOR IT ( WITH CASE ) WHICH WAS QUITE A GOOD DEAL CONSIDERING I LIVE IN " RIP-OFF BRITAIN "
ANYWAY LETS CUT TO THE CHASE. WHEN I WAS LOOKING THERE WAS NOTHING THAT EVEN CAME CLOSE
FOR THE MONEY.
I HAVE PLAYED A £2 K TAYLOR ( SORRY, DONT KNOW THE MODEL No ) ON A FEW OCCASIONS,WHICH ALSO SOUNDS VERY NICE, IN FACT NEARLY AS GOOD AS MY DM. £600.00 - £2,000.00 I KNOW WHICH ONE I'D GET, AND I'VE GOT IT.
I KNOW TAYLORS ARE GREAT GUITARS BUT AT THE LOWER END OF THE TWO RANGES YOU'LL GET A LOT MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK WITH A MARTIN.

AT THE END OF THE DAY THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND
YOU REALY NEED TO TRAWL AROUND A FEW GUITAR STORES AND SEE WHAT SUITS YOU BEST. SOUNDS LIKE A
GOOD WAY TO SPEND A SATURDAY.

FROZ

Wally-
I've never seen another spruce top with flame in it like mine has. Most of them are very clean, which I think IS the most desirable. But mine is different, perhaps because it was one of the first made.

The thing I don't understand is how Martin can sell a solid body and top, basically hand built guitar for $700, where Taylor charges $1500 for the same thing...using more machine and less man-power. don't get me wrong, I really like Taylors, I just can't justify that price difference.

H2H

In the price range of Martin and Taylor, I like and play a Larrivee. The high end Martins are fabulous, but I don't think their low-mid range guitars are as good as the low-mid Larrivees or Taylors. Just an opinion.

Also, Larrivees and Taylors have a similar feel. Martins have thicker necks--at least they feel that way in my hands--and they don't fit my hands well. You should consider the feel and playability of a guitar as well as the sound.

Seagulls have been making a name for themselves lately in the affordable solid wood guitar arena.

i have a 1990 martin d35 and a 1997 taylor ce-10(#?).
the martin is great. it's bass,ier than most martins but sounds full. great on stage. my taylor is good. it's a replacement for when i break a string on the martin.

this is my second martin. i had a d28 also for ten years.
both are quality with great necks.

I bought a new Seagull S6+ cedar for $300 and it sounds great to me. If I had $500 I would have bought a Larrivee, they sounded killer.

searchengine said:
I bought a new Seagull S6+ cedar for $300 and it sounds great to me. If I had $500 I would have bought a Larrivee, they sounded killer.

i had a seagull in the late 80's. it played great.forgot the model number, but it was a lil thin on the sound.(used it on stage also) i got the one(they all came like it at the time) that had a natural finish. i destroyed the finish and put a hole in it inside a year where my pick hit it . playing them hard on stage, i had to go back to martins/taylors. after 10 years, i need another martin now.

Speaking of playing hard...

Yeah, I don't play acoustic hard, and I wouldn't recommend the Seagull if you do. That's why I bought my brother a Guild D4 ($450 w/case). He pounds on that thing - they are built like tanks.

Ehr...

I have heard some killer Takamine acoustics, but I'm basically a sucker for the Ovation sound. Love 'em or hate 'em I guess.

I own a shallow bowl Ovation Celebrity DeLuxe (Autumn Burst) that totally rocks. Only drawback is the tuning mechanisms. I'll have to have them replaced sometime.

How about your tuning mechs BB?

How are your tuning mechanisms holding out Blue?

Mine just run too supple. After I have played a rhythm song fairly powerful the guitar needs tuning straight away! It's nog the strings that cause this.

They seem solid... 4 days, everyday use so far and no tuning drops... I literally just got it, so it may be too soon to tell, but I'll watch for it and let ya know...

The guitar was a bit pricey to be having machine head problems... hope it doesn't turn out to be the case!

Bruce

Indeed

Tell me about it. Mine started dropping tune after 2 years or so..

Anyway, have fun with it. They truly are amazing guitars. :)

I love the tone... replaced my aging Washburn acoustic... I tried it out unamplified first, and compared a whole whack of Ovations off the rack one after another (unamplified.)

This particular one stood out in terms of both sound and the playability of the neck... so I took it over to an amp to hear it and the amp-guitar combo blew me away! (So naturally, I had to get the amp too!)

I LOVE when that "magic tone" you want to get suddenly appears! (very subjective thing, of course...)

Bruce

Back