faulty capsule in a mic

Siaip Ciuvas

Hi,

I have Audiotechnica mic with faulty capsule. I've checked with local Audiotechnica service and replacement capsule price is more than the whole mic value, makes no sense.

Any advice where I can look for a mathing capsule from a modder, maybe?

Which audio technica mic?

It does make sense in that you have the part, plus the service, plus shipping, plus tax. Less sense if it's an expensive model. You should be able to find the part online for cheaper. And do the deed yourself. Depending on the model. If it truly is the case, and you want that mic model, then the choice is clear. Replace, sad but true, but in our modern economy, it's cheaper to replace than to maintain a lot of things.

Depending on the mic of course. If one has to do soldering near the mic to replace, then that's risky business. If the mic failed / became problematic because of a bad day at the swamp, then it's not just the replacement of a part, but a good cleaning and other things.

Although for the more expensive models of mics, the manufacturer is generally pretty good about keeping you in business. And might even replace it for free if you go factory direct. Your success is their success.

we are talking expensive mic - AT4047. I have contacted their Central European office, lets see how that will work, but not holding my breath...

What kind of price did they quote you for that capsule...and is that just for the capsule or also to have the repair work performed?

...if you feel competent to replace the capsule yourself you can purchase a replacement online (just tell them the model of the mic):

http://shop.ebay.com/myboy1979/m.ht...caPSULE&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

...if you'd rather have a tech replace the capsule, contact Jim at JJ Audio and he will suggest various options:
http://jjaudiomic.com/

You'd have to replace the capsule post and saddle for those to work. Not to mention you'd end up with a completely different sound than an AT4047.

A few of the AT mics are electret, which means no polarization voltage from the tube circuit to the capsule. Not sure if the AT4047 is one of those or not.

Back