Fantom-S to Boss BR-1180CD

simoredbeard

I just bought a Roland fantom-s and want to record it through my Boss BR1180CD. What is the best way to do this? I can go straight into the guitar input but that's only mono. Do I need a mixer? Is there cables that go from the two 1/4 inch outputs on the fantom to the BR1180's left and right audio inputs? (like on a T.V.) Also the Keyboard came with a set of Yamaha MSP5 speakers and i want to hook them up to the recorders L and R audio outputs. They have 1/4 inch and XLR inputs.

Thanks.

simoredbeard said:
I just bought a Roland fantom-s and want to record it through my Boss BR1180CD. What is the best way to do this? I can go straight into the guitar input but that's only mono. Do I need a mixer? Is there cables that go from the two 1/4 inch outputs on the fantom to the BR1180's left and right audio inputs? (like on a T.V.) Also the Keyboard came with a set of Yamaha MSP5 speakers and i want to hook them up to the recorders L and R audio outputs. They have 1/4 inch and XLR inputs.

Thanks.
hOW MANY INPUTS ARE ON THE BOSS..2? DOES THE BOSS HAVE MIDI?...ON MOST KEYBOARDS YOU CAN ASSIGN THE TRACKS YOU MADE TO DIFFERENT OUTPUTS.sOME KEYBOARDS MAY HAVE 2 OUTPUTS AND A L and a R this way you could assign track 1 to the L output. track 2 to the R output and track 3 to the 1 output and track 4 to the 2 output.So essentially you can assign any of your tracks to any of the 4 outputs.If you only have 2 inputs on the boss I would just assign your fantoms all tracks to either the 1 or 2 outputs.
How many tracks at a time can the boss record....if only 1 then you could just assign all keyboard tracks to any of the outputs.If you have midi then...(dont quote me exactly) you can run the midi out of the fantom to midi in on the boss and the midi out on the boss to the midi in on the fantom.Then on your boss in the menu where it has midi parameters..change the..MTC(If this is what you have) to make your boss the master..this way when you record on the boss..you press the record or play or rewind etc on the boss and your sequences will start playing and record in the boss,wich is important because if you can only record 1 or 2 tracks at a time and you have 16 tracks ..the tracks will all sync up as opposed to recording manually....
hope this helps..its not meant to be an exact directions..just a lil guidance...and I dont think you need a mixer...unless you have other modules..samplers keyboards to run in,and yes you would hook up your speakers to the boss...although if you only have 1 keyboard and nothing else i dont think it matters..you could just keep it hooked up to the fantom,this way when you are just making tracks or fooling around on the fantom you dont have to have the mixer on....

Thanks 50cal, The Boss has 2 track simultanious recording from 2 inputs. I just record left out to track 1, right out to track 2. Then pan 1 left and 2 right. Bingo! Stereo. I solved the speaker problem by getting 2 adapters that changes the red and white audio cable to have a 1/4 inch jack on each end (speaker end).
We're in buisness.

Back