'fantastic tales', 'my otari attacked me!'

westgate

ɹǝʎɐld ɹǝpuǝ&#6
no kidding. and it DREW BLOOD!!!

i was rewinding (and bypassing the normal tape path by just rewinding between the reels) a tails-out-stored 2 track tape of puccinis 'la boheme' opera, the supply reel apparently wasn't on tight enuff and 'BAM! it flew off, slicing into my nearby thumb that was providing tension betwixt the reels.

i was able to safely stop the machine and reels from spinning and then run to the bathroom for first aid.
all ended up ok, the bleeding stopped, put a bandage over the cut, got the tape rewound, and it sounds pretty good.

this otari ars 1000 has mostly disconnected normal transport controls as it's set up for an automated environment. a on/off button in the back is basicaly the most control you get with one of these.

so you have to be careful or accidents can happen.

oh yeah; and it helps to be sure the reels are on tight enough.

I can see it now, someone that's promoting digital making a claim that the computer is safer then analog. The heading would be, when tape decks strike back. I hope everything is OK.

Nah, recording on computers makes me want to hurt myself! :D (especially ProTools)

As for the analog machines, I've definitely suffered some knuckle scuffings and IC pin-related puncture wounds...but at least therey's isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls nearby :D

...but at least therey's isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls nearby :D

so true, so true...

when I was 'refurbishing' my 388 - first night I got her home stayed up late opening things up, I had her all dis-assembled and left her on my kitchen floor as such. It seems she didn't like being so exposed... I had the 'tape transport panel' (just a big sheet of steel with holes cut in it) leaning up against the machine - just when I woke up next morning, stepped over her to get to the stove for some tea, I sliced right into the skin on the ball of my foot on the edge of the panel -yeah, the alcohol was close at hand. I spent all of that day on my back with my foot elevated - IT WAS DEEP AND GUSHING! I didn't walk normal for the better part of a week - it took a week & a half or two to heal.

she's forgiven me now and we get along great.:)

Last edited:
gee whiz, these analog thingies should have stickers saying 'this device may be hazardous to your health!'

I sprayed some "fader lube" (blue shower) into a switch on my 3300SX while looking directly at said switch and took a blow back blast right in the face and eyes. Quickly ran water through said eyes....

When I was replacing Relays in my MS-16, I was bleeding
from several fingertips and burned by the soldering iron.
I can think of at least 5 occasions where the amp cards
have sliced my arms and hands. Those things are sharp!
Lots of pokey stuff.
Tape Machine restoration is a dirty job.

Back