Fake sounds..

Tifstorey

Guinea Pig
Hi All,

Im just really wanting to find out how people manage to get such nice sounds from midi. I know how it all works etc, i use Reason V2.5 for the programme and use a Yamaha PSR640 as the controller. Ive made quite a few small tracks over the past year or so and i havent noticed much of an increase in quality of sound. Its not really the playing (or at least i dont think it is) it just sounds very fake and very obvious its midi.

I was just wondering how people counter this? Ive tried changing EQ settings, changing the envelope settings, etc. Anything else someone could suggest me trying?

Thanks all :)

keep practicing.
it's a combination of mixing techniques that every engineers obtains over time and good quality sounds. fake sounds are going to sound fake.

The good samples you've heard in the past are from people who've been doing it for years and just seem to have a nack for it....that and they've spent a lot of money on good sounds.

bennychico11 said:
keep practicing.
it's a combination of mixing techniques that every engineers obtains over time and good quality sounds. fake sounds are going to sound fake.

The good samples you've heard in the past are from people who've been doing it for years and just seem to have a nack for it....that and they've spent a lot of money on good sounds.

Yeah i guessed alot of it would be the sound banks theyre using. I seem to have really good ideas in my head and hear them perfectly, but when it comes to recording them, i just dont get the same sound im hearing in my mind.. ill keep practicing :) Thanks for your suggestions mate!

Ultimately, the biggest influence is the source. If the sound source your controlling is not up to scratch, it really won't matter what you do with the midi commands, after all, midi knows nothing about sound per se, just pitch, velocity and duration.

If you want pro sounds, get a pro sound source.

Well i thought Reason was pretty good for that, i mean ive heard some stuff which has been made on the programme which sounds amazing. Im fairly up to scratch with how it works, ive played Piano since i was 10 so ive no problems with the playing abilities, i guess its just testing out different methods of using it all.. Thanks for your post :)

You may want to try tweaking some effects on the sound banks as well as layering some of the same patterns over different instruments. That's worked really well for me sometimes.

Yup, you need good samples. As importantly, in order to fake it successfully you need to think like you were actually playing the instrument, and knowing it's limitations (i.e. knowing a flute is monophonic, how to use various types of modulation techniques to emulate certain "Real" playing techniques etc.). Also knowing things like, what range an instrument can play in the real world.

Avoid the all-in-one string patch......
You know the one that triggers the same samples at C0 as it does at C8. Pick up some classical books, and study which instruments fit what range, and how they traditionally interact with each other. As in which instruments usually play in unison, and which play harmonies, etc.

Here is a book that deals specifically with this subject: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MidiOrchBook/

Fieva said:
You may want to try tweaking some effects on the sound banks as well as layering some of the same patterns over different instruments. That's worked really well for me sometimes.

Ill definately give that a go! Cheers :)

Atterion said:
As importantly, in order to fake it successfully you need to think like you were actually playing the instrument, and knowing it's limitations (i.e. knowing a flute is monophonic, how to use various types of modulation techniques to emulate certain "Real" playing techniques etc.). Also knowing things like, what range an instrument can play in the real world.

Avoid the all-in-one string patch......
You know the one that triggers the same samples at C0 as it does at C8. Pick up some classical books, and study which instruments fit what range, and how they traditionally interact with each other. As in which instruments usually play in unison, and which play harmonies, etc.

That makes total sense!! because ive played piano since i was real young, ive been playing all instruments like a piano.. Ive been in a few orchestras, and have studied classical music for a few years so i understand quite a bit about different instruments and theyre range etc. Will definately try to get a different head on for when trying different instruments! Cheers!!

Thanks again all, will hopefully have a track up soon in the mp3 clinic for you all to laugh at!!

Back