Fake Audix D6 - any good for bass guitar?

I agree with your appraisal of these three. The SM57 was rather stark in comparison, but I had a thought it might go nicely blended with the Sennheiser 421 for a sort of Chris Squire sound. Might get it into that general area, anyway.

I hadn't thought of that - it would compliment the other one - perhaps even the D6 - that does bass nicely, so maybe the two would blend?
Interesting one this!

all 3 definitely have their own sound...421 sounds best imo. the 57 really cuts off the bass low end wow.
I didnt care for the other two at all really, 421 was alone a lot in 1st place imo. 57 was really focused in the upper range and the plastic one seemed blurry and cheap...maybe more bass than the 57, yes, but the sound fakeD6 had that familiar blah lifeless tone.. imo....
sure a person can used anything but the 421 was quiet a bit better if you want that "studio" sound it seems to me.

I had a 421 with some Tascam package of Tascam mixer and the 8 track cassette rack mount deck..1989?...it always sounded really good, even today I think of it as crisp and as a good gear through my ears....of course I didnt hardly know anything about gear at all and had little interest in the specs etc. The internet and places like this didnt exist so it was a lot of weird shopping and unknown gear.

not long ago rabbit holed ...McCartney used the 421 for his first "solo" album....plugged into the reel to reel, I guess its a "all rounder" mic.?

great video as always, great sound and playback ... wow I was surprised at the difference of all 3.

I wasn't going to bother reviewing this Chinese fake mic, but it did better than expected in front of a 15" speaker! In fact the thinnest sound was from the SM57 - the Sennheiser 421 sounds best to my ears.
Interesting - your SM57 sounds damaged - that has not been my experience with the Microphone - although I do agree the Sennheiser mics usually sound good on bass - lately though I've liked the EV RE20 on bass - it's the Sennhiser and more.

I've got a few laying around - that one is still out so I'll speak into a couple tomorrow if I get the chance. A good point.

EDIT UPDATE
I sounded normal, until I wiggled the grill and suddenly the bass cut out. Wiggled again and it came back. My first SM57 was in 1976 - this could be that one, I really don't know, but I have never had a faulty one before!

Last edited:
I wasn't going to bother reviewing this Chinese fake mic, but it did better than expected in front of a 15" speaker! In fact the thinnest sound was from the SM57 - the Sennheiser 421 sounds best to my ears.

I didn’t realize the D6 was one of those mics that’s gets counterfeited. What do you look for to know it’s a fake one if you’re just looking at pictures?
Thanks for the video!

Plastic instead of Metal case - but who knows why they would fake it.
Yeah, the plastic v metal is all I picked up in the video. I figured that might be hard to tell from a photo.

I have a real one inside my kick for the attack, and an at4047 outside for the body. Very happy with the combination. I did just take my D112 off of my 16” floor tom. It’s just a lot of low end rumble to deal with. A D4 is sounding better there. I think I’ll give the D112 a chance at inside kick for a while.

Back