Fading out

amaskey

How do you fade out using cubase? I saw the feature within process...but its only seeming to fade out the selected piece of audio. Lets say i want to start slowly fade out after the 2 min mark. how would i do this ?

Eg.. i have 2 riffs after the 2 min mark. everytime i run the fade, it fades them indivually. so lets say first riff is A and next is B...it fades A and then plays B and starts fading that instead of gradually fading from A to B..

hope this makes sense :confused:

go into the track mixer. Make sure the master output is showing. click the little W button to the left of it. then, play the song, and when you need to fade, start dragging the fader down. Then, when it's done, click on the W again (To turn off write automation).

It should work fine.

Oh wait, are you talking about crossfading?

Then, the audio needs to be overlapping. Read the help file, it'll explain a little better, I don't know that one off the top of my head, but I think when they're overlapping, you hit the c key, and it'll do it for you.

Actually it's X.

For fade outs you can grab the top right corner of any audio segment and a little blue triangle will appear and create an angle, the angle will indicate the length of fade.

So if i want to start fading from the 2 minute mark on everything how would i do so? i have 3 riffs A, B and C combined..when i do the process->fade out..it fades them indivudually. fades riff A then goes up for B and starts fading that then goes up for C. it doesnt gradually fade from A to C :confused:

I think I understand your question. You have 2 consecutive events, which you call riffs. You want to do a continuous fade from the beginning of riff A to the end of riff B. The current problem is that the processing results in riff A fading to the end point, followed by riff B starting at full volume and fadint to the end point.

There must be some way to combine the 2 riffs into a single riff (event), which can be, in turn, faded as a unit.

You can do a mixdown from two or more tracks to one, which can be reimported into the project to replace the originals in your final mixdown. That would seem to me to be the easiest solution.

Jeff

This is of course depending on which version of cubase you have, but assuming that you have some version of SX: If you want to fade just the riffs in the middle of a song, you can use the automation track for volume that shows when you expand that track with the little "+"-sign. If you want to fade the whole song at the end, I usually do this with volume automation on the mastertrack (right-click,add mastertrack).

Maybe I'm missing the point but could you not get the two parts that you want to fade out on their own tracks (if necessary), then select the whole area and do a fade out on both tracks (add silnce before any riffs where necessary s0 that the fade out will begin before the riffs actually start but will kick in a the desired level)?

Or, this might apply to what you mean... ?

If the two riffs are on the same track, sequenced A - B- A etc, just merge them together to form one part (maybe its called an event...), then do the fade out (so it treats the combined parts as one)... is this what you mean?

At work at the moment so I don't have Cubase open onfront of me but it should be smple enough to work out once you know what's involved. Hope that helps.

Alternatively, you could just use automation and manually drag the levels down with in the mixer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I did combine the tracks using the glue thing on the toolbar. However, it still would only do each riff indivudually. i guess i could do an audio mixdown and then import and fade out that way.

amaskey said:
Thanks for the help guys. I did combine the tracks using the glue thing on the toolbar. However, it still would only do each riff indivudually. i guess i could do an audio mixdown and then import and fade out that way.

Fade out using automation is probably easiest IMO. Just drag and fade, also, you might want to tweak part of the section later, you can't do that too easily if you have done destructive processing to the sound via a mixdown...

Back