Fader Setting resets at mixdown?

Genie

Hello, I've been running into a strange problem with sonar. I record everything and get it how I want it as far as levels and effects and such. My problem is that on some tracks when i go to export the project as a wav some fader settings reset to a previous value (usually up). I can't figure it out, i'll adjust the fader, save the project, and when i go to export, the fader moves up before the mixdown begins. I don't have any automation going on. only effects, compressor, eq, reverb, and those are all cakewalk effects. Any ideas?

I had that problem. I used a SB Audigy, and it turned out it was the drivers to the Audigy that caused the problem. I updated the drivers and the problem went away...

What kind of soundcard do you have?

soundcarD?

Thanks for the response, I've got a delta 44 and a soundblaster platinum. Doesn't sound like it would fix it but sometimes things happen like that, you could say no way would that have anything to do with this problem and then you'd be wrong. I hope i'm wrong, i'll update my drivers. Thanks again....

Genie

I have not had this problem, but I've gotten some wierd stuff like panning that won't work, but then does later. Tracks that don't play back, but then do later, etc. There are some bugs here...

I would do this as a work around... You say you have no automated mixing, so just create a volume node at the beginning of the track to the volume you want at playback. The fader should snap to this and play back at that volume, not to change until another node is introduced. If there is only this one node, you should be all set.

Doesn't sound like it would fix it but sometimes things happen like that, you could say no way would that have anything to do with this problem and then you'd be wrong.

When you have absolutely no clue what's wrong, every response is good help... I'm aware that updating the drivers probably won't fix it :( , but it's worth a shot....;)

Thanks

Thanks for the input, i'll try the volume node deal. This may be a silly question but does anybody know what the difference would be (sound quality wise) between mixing down (export -> wav) and just recording the mix in say Sound Forge? I tried it, it sounded fine but i'm sure there has to be a penalty for doing that. I don't know. Thanks again for the help.

Genie

hello genie, i don't have sonar but if what you're describing was happening to me in cakewalk 9, and if i were recording audio not midi, then i would go to the track view and scroll over to the vol & pan settings and change them all to: -1 then i would save otherwise they would revert back the next time you open your project. this is mentioned somewhere in the help files or manual.

Back