Factory Joe

Thanks Heatmiser. I agree on the bluesy licks on the right. I was trying to do something a little odd-ball. But I don't think it works in this song. I tracked a different part over the weekend. I think it fits the song better. If I put up another mix it'll be there.

I like the new mix better. I'd still like a little more kick, but you're real close to me. Vocals are better, guitars are better. The drum overheads are a little hot. They sound compressed which to me doesn't ever work very well. The ride ping is a little distracting and unnatural. If you're compressing the drum bus, or just the overheads, maybe tame that a little.

Thanks for the re-listen Greg.

The OH's are not compressed. Maybe they're just a little too loud and they're getting over-squashed by the limiter. I'll nudge them down a db or two.

Thanks again.

I like the song. I think there's something in the mix that doesn't work. The guitars are too much in the foreground and the vocals are a bit behind them. I can't understand the words in all the lines. The song is worth investing more time.

Thanks Witti007. You might be right on the vocal/guitar balance. I might try a volume envelope and bump up the volume on the words that get lost. Yeah there are a couple.

Just listened and played along. Really nice changes in here Trip. Damn.

I hadn't noticed till now, the lead vocal is really strained, in a good way, like Lennon on Twist and Shout.

I think too the rhythm guitar freqs are fighting the lead vox. I don't know what to suggest, maybe narrow the field some on the guitar? I'm liking the tone better now and even that little riff on the right is growing on me.

Hey Manslick. I think you were right the first time about the lick. It doesn't fit. I tracked a new part. I don't know if anyone cares at this point but here is a new mix. I did some volume adjustments on the OH's and the guitar as well. Not a huge change.

Attachments

• FJ4.mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 7
I initially popped in just for another listen. Referencing the new and the old though I much prefer the FJ4. Such a cool tune. I would like to hear a version with the guitars just a little lower for personal preference. I'm struggling to decipher some of the lyrics in the verses. I love the bite of the rhythm. I guess everyone hears things differently though.

Cracking tune!

Reminds me of a song my friend Tim wrote in the 80's called Uncle Joe's Pig Farm. Sounds nothing like it at all, just the Joe bit reminded me. A great tune!

Hey Manslick. I think you were right the first time about the lick. It doesn't fit. I tracked a new part. I don't know if anyone cares at this point but here is a new mix. I did some volume adjustments on the OH's and the guitar as well. Not a huge change.
Well now I miss the lick. I know this must be maddening. Having got used to a figure at that point, my brain is saying it sounds empty there now. But I know it's just the familiarity thing.
I say it's done dude.

Hey MrClean. I watched the vid. I can't say it reminded me of Factory Joe. But it was an enjoyable view. Loved the bass line. Guitar part was kind of Fac Joe-ish.

Manslick - now don't make me kick your butt. :) I think you were right the first time. The part doesn't fit. Too busy IMO. the focus should be the vocal, and that guitar part was pulling attention away. It should be supporting the song.

so...what would it sound like if you didn't multitrack the vocals? Think it would make it easier to understand the lyrics?
Also... wadda ya think about the bass an octave lower? Add some beef to the mix..?

Hey mix. If the vocal were single tracked, I'm sure it would be at least a little clearer. But I'm scared. It's my safety net. Posting a song with a single tracked vocal would be like posting a picture of me in a speedo. :)

The song is in A and I have a standard 4 string bass. Most of the part is as low as it could get. I suppose I could drop down to an open low E on those chords.

Thanks for the checkback.

Sounds excellent Triplem - works both with and without the riff, so just comes down to whatever you prefer arrangement wise.

I wouldn't change much from here on in. For me it's a song where all the mix parts meld together rather than requiring too much distinction so I don't think you need perfect clarity on the lyrics etc. Good work.

FJ4 is sounding pretty good. Each time I get pieces of the lyrics here and there. "brand new honda accord"..."beer keg dressed in jeans"? Something like that anyway...entertaining.

I don't miss the blues licks and think it sounds more focused without.

I remember a previous mix of this tune and I recall the vocal as being quite poppy, whereas on this you're a lot more rock and you've got some real nice breakup happening which is cool. Snare sounds better too, it's got a little more distortion on it. Mix seems skewed toward the upper end, if you could get a bit more beef in the kick it could pull the bottom out a bit

I remember a previous mix of this tune and I recall the vocal as being quite poppy, whereas on this you're a lot more rock and you've got some real nice breakup happening which is cool. Snare sounds better too, it's got a little more distortion on it. Mix seems skewed toward the upper end, if you could get a bit more beef in the kick it could pull the bottom out a bit

I actually did a search on my HD and found the first version from years ago and yeah..I agree......I A-B'd the versions and all these mixes and I like what you did differently...FJ 4 is the best imp..........but, I like the vox and harmonys on the first original version better....as far as the kick goes....if you match the compression to the bass and pan them slightly askew you might get some more thump there....just a thought.....

blast from the past and still as kool as ever....Marsha, Marsha, Marsha......:cool:

Back