Factory 2nd and Used stamps

chigbl

Dedicated Member
I have seen in different occasion mentions of guitars having "Factory 2nd" or "Used" stamped on the back of the headstock. What is confusing me is that some seller mention both like "this is a factory 2nd, having Used stamped on it..."

Logically, it should be one or the other. My understanding is that the factory 2nd as some blemish while the used one may be from a failed music store or something like that.

Anybody knows?

I've seen "Second" stamped on some Gibson's. I've never seen "Used". Perhaps it means it was purchased, sent back to the factory for adjustment or repair, then for some reason never made it back to the original buyer? Or just purchased and then returned to the store. Or repossessed?

bongolation probably knows.

Last edited:
I have seen at a musicgoround store that all the used guitars in the store had a stamp of used on them.

Maby some of the bigger stores stamp them?

guitars stamped "USED" are from a seconds guitar wholesaller named MIRC. They buy guitars from manufacturers that have defects and they cannot ship from the factory with a warranty. Then they recondition them and sell them as "USED" or "Second" guitars. the vast majority you see on Ebay is from this place. Dealers, such as Music-Go-Round and many others on Ebay, buy from them and sell to retail.

Read all about it: http://www.mircweb.com/

H2H

Just a quick note... The Co. I work for sells to Music Go Round ( I set-up about 40 Pieces for them the other day actually). They purchase all new 1st quality stock from us. I just don't want folks to think if they buy anything from them on Ebay etc...that it's all b-stock or seconds.
There's a guy that comes by about once a month and buys all our blems and b-stock. He wholesales most of it himself(without warr.) They're usually stamped with a prefix letter on the headstock.

Back