Face to Face

So guys... I'm impressed! The drum mix sounds pretty good! If you're mixing from the individual tracks, you've come a long way. Kudos.

One thing I noticed is that the cymbals lack luster. While tracking drums this time, the overheads I used were ribbon mics, and they inherently have a darker tone. If I were mixing this, the only change I would make is to put an EQ on the overheads (or on the whole drum bus, depending if you like the added luster on the rest of the kit or not) and push an 8K shelf up about 5 to 10dB. The ribbons' dark character can be a bit dull, but they handle EQ very well.

Other than that, it sounds *great*. Stellar job, Gerry and Mike!

Happy to be working with you again!

PS - Don't be tempted to push the gain up on the overheads, either. The added EQ should do the trick nicely. The balance is perfect.

Last edited:
The cymbals are ok on the wav, it's probably just an MP3 conversion issue.
Are you able to hear the effect in the mp3 to confirm?

I tried a room reverb plugin on the individual tracks and it just got washed out when you stacked all the reverbs together.
Ah, bummer. I think that would have helped. But if it wasn't working, then it wasn't working.

There's a bit of ping pong between the two acoustic tracks. Both are very clear and clean. They sound VERY similar. Maybe some comb eq would fit (i.e. narrow boost at 640/cut at 1280 on one side, cut at 640/boost at 1280 on the other)? Frequencies are just random, although I've done these exact freqs on a couple songs and it sounds very nice...really depends on the key of the song.
Great bass tone for the song!
Drums are well played. I'm with the crowd on this though, the overheads need more high end.
Great singing Gerry. Great lyric. Sits VERY well in the mix. Right in front without being overbearing. Like the harmony build on the last verse.
Great work guys!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen and give review comments. That 96K file did cause some grief.
There's a few things we still want to work on, including your suggestions, so we'll see what we can do to polish this up a bit more.
Mike may chime in here but he's extremely busy at work, as am I, so I'll pass along his thanks as well.
And as always thanks to Jason who always takes our songs up a big notch. If you need drums on your track, I highly recommend you give him a shout.

Great song once again. Listening to mix #3 with Bose headphones, everything sounds good.

I'm not hearing any swishiness on the cymbals, but maybe a little distortion on the right overhead, once or twice.

Bass and kick are well balanced. That might mean a little low since the bose headphones kind of accentuate the bass, LOL. I'm sure it's good.

I do hear the hihat coming in and out, but I'm chalking that up to playing style rather than a tracking or mixing issue. And it's nice to have some dynamics.

I thought the acoustics could come up a little, but that is personal choice.

yeah man!!! :D

Great song Ido. I just clicked on the link in the OP..So, I don't know if it's the latest mix or not. It sounds good. There is enough sizzle to my ears. I love the bass guitar sound! I struggle with my bass,sound man... you're nailing it though! The only suggestion I have it that the cymbals have a predominant frequency that is, IMO, a little too low. it's making them sound a tad clangy. easy fix with some EQ.
killer tune man!

I listened to mix #3.

Things sound very good in general.

I think the vocal is a bit too far out in front of the instruments.

THe overall mix has a bit of a clean/sterile feel. I'd like a little warmer feel. I'm exaggerating here, it's not real bad.

Like the guitar licks/solo.

Drums sound good. Cymbals are a little wide.

I'm overly critical. It's good.

I think you've got a good mix, with everything well balanced and clear. Good tune. I do agree with Trip - I would prefer the rhythm guitars with a bit more hair to give the song a rockier/warmer generally sweatier vibe, like the guitars in some of your older tunes

I agree about the electric guitar sounding a bit muffled. And I would add a slight touch of reverb on the vocal--that's my taste and I know not everybody likes that.

Havent read the rest, and theres three pages worth so maybe folks are hearing things Im not....but this sounds to me as close to a pro studio recording form a home studio Im likely to hear

out the park Ido

If you were 40 years younger and pretty youd have a contract and be filling Staples ;)

Thanks guys for all the comments; I remixed this last week and finally got a chance to post it tonight. Work has been taking up all my free time lately (well probably for two years).
I want to move the de-esser frequency back to where it was initially, and look at the low end a bit but it's close. I won't have access to the project for a few days but I'll tackle that when I do. I've put the latest Mix 4 up in the OP so that's where you'll find it.

Back