EZDrummer

As far as varying the hits, istn't there a "humanize" funcation in EZDrummer? I've never used it, but I thought there was something that would automatically vary the hits and timing.

do you have a link to these templates? I would be half interested to see whats there even though i am very pleased with mine atm.

You have to register to read the posts:
EZdrummer Help
Sorry, not sure which thread had the template links in it. I've got a basic one up for the first song I'm working on that has 8 tracks - kick, hi-hat, snare, 3 toms, overhead and room (which is dead, due to the 'no bleed, I guess)

As far as varying the hits, istn't there a "humanize" funcation in EZDrummer? I've never used it, but I thought there was something that would automatically vary the hits and timing.

Yea there is, but it kinda sucks TBH. Espically when it comes to the hats, rides and crashes. Maybe not for like pop music or whatever but if you do anything like punk rock, metal, anything relatively fast you will notice that the humanize feature is in EZD is balls.

It's worth the extra time to go back and humanize the samples yourself.

OK, I'm bringing this thread back from the dead for a minute.

This is mostly for Chili, but anyone can chime in. I'm interested in EZ drummer and I was just wondering what is your process when making a drum track, how to do you humanize it, what are some tips you might have for me?

And, how is the Nashville expansion? Does it have some cool slower/mellow fills?

And, if anyone else has some songs they've made with it, I'd love to hear.

I mostly do americana/countryish stuff (like Wilco or folky stuff), and some punk rock too.

I mostly do

I pick a midi file from the EZ Drummer interface that fits the groove, the first thing I do is edit the Kick drum to sync it up with the bass. I dont use the humanize much, but the files are often played with a human feel (you can see the hits are lagged a bit sometimes)

EZ Drummer is meant to be raw, you have to eq/gate/compress like you would a live kit.

The tune posted on my link is done with EZ basic. I bought the classic xpansion cause it was only 35 bucks, it sounds OK, I havent worked with it much yet.

I did a classic rock type tune (using the 24" plastic beater kick sample) and the regulars in the Mp3 clinic thought it was real drums, sometimes it works well other times its an EZ drummer dead giveaway.

Good Luck!

This is mostly for Chili, but anyone can chime in. I'm interested in EZ drummer and I was just wondering what is your process when making a drum track, how to do you humanize it, what are some tips you might have for me?

And, how is the Nashville expansion? Does it have some cool slower/mellow fills?

I mostly do americana/countryish stuff (like Wilco or folky stuff), and some punk rock too.

I mostly do

I have been having the worst time accessing HR from home lately, so I am not on here much anymore. Lucky I caught this one....

When first starting a song, I'll drag in a groove file or two that fits my idea for the song then make enough copies to fill out the song so I have a usable drum track. I generally pick them based on the kick pattern and dont' usually edit the kick. I'll record most of the audio tracks with just the basic pattern, then when I'm almost done, I go into the midi editor and make changes to the drums. I'll usually add crashes where needed, then extra snare and hihat hits as needed. Sometimes I'll drag or copy a Fill groove file, but mostly, I create my own fills.

I like to throw in the odd snare hit or tom hit for accents and will change the hihat patterns often. I like that "Stuart Copeland" feel to drumming.

I go through note for note and visualize how a drummer would play a part and try to replicate that. Sometimes I might have a crash and hihat coincide where it is physically impossible, but I think those are mostly unnoticeable. I'll change velocities, but in a logical manner and not just at random. I leave EZD's humanize feature on, though sometimes I feel it doesn't get it right.

I mostly use teh basic drum set and the Nashville set. I like both. You can use fills from any expansion pack with any other expansion pack. You might have to move around some notes to get them to the right drum, but that's easy to do.

If you want samples, listen to some songs on my soudclick page.

HTH,

Help needed! I'm using Reaper and just started using EZD. I have (almost) no idea how to use the MIDI editor to change/add stuff on the EZD track. Finally figured out (by trial and error) how to delete a note - clicking on the bar at the bottom to select it. But when I've tried to add a note, nothing plays. Is there a basic primer on how to do this somewhere?
So far, I have just been dragging and dropping the standard patterns into my song and using the humanizer plug-in in Reaper.

I mostly do

Aaron,

I usually program everything at a set velocity while focusing on the rhythm, then alter the velocities later. I don't get much out of the humanize function, so I use some functions in my DAW to edit velocities in batches. I use an older version of SONAR, just FYI.

Anyway, let's say I have a verse and a chorus in a rock tune where I want the verse "normal" and the chorus with a little "oomph". In my piano roll view, I use the select tool to select all of the snare hits in the verse, then under my edit menu there's an option for MIDI effects. There's a velocity effect function where I can set a target velocity for the batch, but I can also tell it to randomize the midi velocities within a range. So during the verse I might set the velocity to 70 and set a randomize function with a range of +7. That will give me a random-velocity output with snare hits of varying velocities between 70 and 77. For choruses, then, I'd set the velocity range to 100-110 or something like that.

I usually leave kicks with less of a range because a lot of the compression and editing done later would be intended just to do that anyway.

If you want samples of how it sounds, send me a PM.

Also, I don't have any experience with the expansion packs, though I'd like to give them a try.

And I can't help you mjb as I have no idea - sorry!

I play an e kit through it.

Also the Nashville expansion is also great for pretty much everything. Although the china is a bit of a laugh, the drums sound great though.

When it comes to using them on stuff though I tend to reach for the big brother stuff though (superior 2 or addictive drums).

Thanks for the tips. I bought the bundle with the classics expansion. The 4-mic kit sounds awesome.

Pretty easy to use. I'm using reaper and haven't ever done midi so I'm learning that too. If you double click on the midi item in the track, the piano roll pops up and you can just write in notes and velocities. I know there is a "humanize" by randoomizing the velocities and another way to "unquantize" the hits but I havent done that yet.

The classics sounds way better to me than the standard kit. And all of the grooves work with all of the kits.

The standard kit is to processed. The reason I dig the Nashville kit is it just sounds more like a drumset.

Also, I'm starting to learn how to play these fucking things and decided to have a go at playing the new Metal Machine EZX.

I'm incredinoob and have only been trying my hand at drums for 8 months or so now but honestly if you can swing for it an e kit is the way to go. Much faster than editing by hand. I could have quantized this but in the end I just left it for now. I may go in later a tighten some shit up once I get the arrangement done.

I got a bundle with the classics and nashville expansions. They both are awesome. The basic kit that comes with it isn't really my taste and doesn't sound as real as the others.

I do want some e-drums sometime soon. I would love to do real drums all the time, but in my apartment that would be kinda rude!

I haven't scrolled through all of the many replies to this post so apologies if I'm repeating something someone's already said, but have you tried a Drum Plugin called 'Drummix'?

Okay so I cant post a URL, but just type in 'bluenoise plugins drummix' on google and you'll find it.

You can get a beta version for free, which i think is absolutely fab - all the drums are recorded from about 10 mic positions (sounds pretty perfect to my ears anyway!) unprocessed drums so you can mix it how ever you want to get an authentic sound. I haven't tried the versions you pay for, but worth a look seeing as it's free and even the paid ones are only $30!.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this software? Am I just a complete newbie who has no idea what I'm on about? Genuinely that could be the case but I've had a reasonable amount of good comments on how my drums sound for midi.

Hasn't got any built in loops in the midi one though it's worth noting, and the drum map starts at C3 rather than C1.

James
Red & Other Colours

I guess the gm issue is a big deal for those who do a lot of midi drums, I'm not sure.

I'd never heard of gm until I heard they didn't use it. Plus they explain why they didn't use it on the website. So it's not a matter of a company not bothering to get it right, it's a a matter of intended audience.

Back