Extremely high input levels from drum mics are giving me fits!

indymusician

Does anyone else have clipping issues with their drum mics?

Basically, no matter what preamp / mic combination I try, I have to crank the input gain on the pre all the way down to nothing, and still have issues with some mics. The snare mic is the worst. I've tried a 57 using the digi002 pre's, a VTB1 pre, and a Behringer ADAT preamp module. I've also tried using an Audix f10 with the same pre combinations. The fact is, it's just so loud that it is killing the input on the pre. I would have never thought I would have to use inline pads on dynamic mics, but I really don't see any other alternative at this point. The snare is the worst, but the kick and toms have to be cranked down to almost no gain on the pre's as well.

Any suggestions? Or suggestions on pads?

I'm having exactly the same problem. Even with my pre turned down as far to the left as it will go, I'm still getting signals into my DAW of about -1.0dB to -3.0dB on everything except the Overheads. The only thing that I've been able to do to sort it out (apart from moving the mics further away from the source - which changes the sound that you get so is undesirable if you've got it sounding sweet where the mic is, not to mention it increases the bleed from other drums into the mic) is to move the sliders down into my DAW to around between -6.0dB and -12.0dB and then you can crank up the pre's to get a nice level of whatever you want. I hope that helps.

But if anyone else has any genius ideas then I would be very grateful too!

If you have line inputs and an adapter, that could work. On a lot of interfaces, the line input still goes through the preamp, but with a 20db pad.

Otherwise, there are a few companies that make inline pads..

Could you give us the exact signal chain?

Tell us exactly which output is connected to exactly which input...

It's pretty easy to run into that. A lot of pres start at +20 or more gain at their minimum.

Could you give us the exact signal chain?..

I ran QTC-1's for kit mics for a while with no preamp at all -phantom power box, splitter, one side to monitor one to RME ADI-8 set +4, and still needed the in-line pad at times.

Hey guys. This is not a low end problem only. Even with some high end pres there is just too much gain even with the pad engaged on the pre. There is a really simple solution that is either really cheap or really really cheap depending of whether you buy your inline pad from whirlwind or from Hosa. I forget how much they cost exactly. but its very cheap. The whirlwind is a better quality build, more solid, and a fixed amount of dB of reduction. The Hosa is a little cheaper feeling but can be 20,30,or 40 dB with a switch. Its most likely that your mic's aren't overloading unless you are using close up condensers. Kick mic's and snare mic's usually have a really high SPL limit. It's just too much signal into the pre. Some of them run hot, that's not necessarily bad. API pres are pretty hot and they're sick. The pads are just resisters. They probably change the sound a little but it's not really noticeable on transient instruments like drums. The whirlwind may be better for quality of sound because they may use a better resister but from an objective view I hear no difference. Have fun with them, you'll be able to crank your pre a bit more and maybe get some color on te drums from it if you have a nice one. Check out the Black lion audio pres for some good ones for home. -james.

Back