Extremely Frustrated!!! (New Comp & VST's)

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

Bought a new PC which has a quad processor which acts like 8 and 12 GBs of tri-channel RAM. Now I thought this would be enough to throw anything at it. I'm running Sonar X1 with 4 instances of Ivory II in different segments of the track and one instance of Superior Drummer 2. When I try to record SD2, the track won't play back properly (clipping, but not audio clipping from tracks being too hot). I adjust the ASIO driver setting and I get better playback but too much latency to record the drums. I have done everything I know of to reduce any excessive use on the PC which includes the black viper suggestions and suggestions from Cakewalk to optimize the PC for DAW recording. It is not hooked up to the internet, thus no antivirus software, updates, etc.

I forgot too mention that for the Ivory tracks, I have frozen them, copied the audio file to another track and muted the original midi track. As I believe this should take any processor usage for the VST out of play.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated as I am in the midst of recording a demo cd.

Thanks,

Also, I am using a Focusrite PRO24DSP as my interface. Perhaps I should kill the effects on my vocal tracks while laying down the drums? They are ITB effects as opposed to DSP on the interface.

On the Ivory tracks, don't just mute them, but disable the VSTi on each one, otherwise they are still running in the background.

Thanks Mike, you're a lifesaver. Do you know how to disable them? I can't seem to find an option.

If you just freeze them, without moving the audio anywhere or anything, doesn't that stop the VSTi from processing? Tha'ts the whole point of freezing, isn't it?

I don't know Sonar, but in Reaper, the FX window has a little checkbox for each plug-in used, including VSTi's. Uncheck it, and it is disabled.

Back