Extreme Peavey RAGE mod!

mshilarious said:
But my big problem is that my 12vreg keeps going into overload. I suspect it's because the transformer is putting out higher voltage than rated. Thus I have 37v on what is supposed to be 28v. That ends up OK for all components except that vreg, which is supposed to be max 35v input. I put some resistors in front of it, and the total draw should only be ~400mA, and I put a heatsink on it, but it hates me :( It's my fault for trying to use the same rail for the bias and the heaters :rolleyes: Since there is no easy way to fix that vreg, I think I'm going to have to build a separate power rail for the heaters :(

Would you like fries with that? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

mshilarious said:
If you put a potato on that vreg, you could have had them!

Pretty much all problems are fixed, hopefully I'll have some audio samples tonight :)

What a bugger being about 12 hrs ahead, now I'll have to tune in tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay. I have more pictures, a final schematic, and audio samples, I will post all late tonight. Also I have lots of ideas on simpler mods that could be done to the RAGE! if anybody out there is interested, I'll organize my thoughts and post those tonight too.

Here's a pic of the final assembly to tide you over until then:

apl said:
You jerk! The pic doesn't show the toob!

Hey it's Peavey not Behringer :p I have to give a lot of credit to Peavey, I called them twice, first time to get the schematic which they emailed to me right away. The second time I called ordering parts, I needed another pot for th e reverb (recall the PCB was designed for a reverb option, so there was already holes for it, I just needed the part). They didn't use the old style knobs anymore, that's why the reverb knob is black. Anyway, they only wanted $3.02 for the pot and knob, I got it a few days later, and then they didn't bother to charge me :) Excellent support in their parts department--all this for a 10 year old amp that cost $100 in the first place.

I do have pics with the tube, will post later. The tube PCB had to be mounted upside down so the tube would stick out into the cabinet, that's why you can't see in the final assembly.

Also in my struggles with the power supply, I discovered the secret to getting that warm tube glow from a 12AX7--hit the filaments with 20V! :o :o

ocnor said:
Are you going to post audio samples of before and after the mod?

After, yes, before, I didn't bother. If you've ever heard a small Peavey practice amp, they sound like total ass. Besides, this mod was so extreme that it's not like a comparison of a before and after cap upgrade or something.

Oh wait, the good news for everybody following this thread who doesn't have a RAGE!: there are a couple unusual features about the tube stage where I think it would make a cool 12AX7 tube gain pedal. Between the tube overdrive and the LEDs, there is a very wide range of distortion available. I'm going to tidy that section up and publish the schematic and PCB on another thread, and if enough people are interested in building it, we can order PCBs so nobody has to make 'em :)

That pedal would have to run off 120VAC (or maybe 12VDC, but I see no point in having a wall wart and a transformer in the pedal), but I'm also working on the 6GM8 pedal, which can run off 6 or 9VDC and fit in a standard-sized pedal case :cool:

Here's the v2 schematic, with some comments by me on the changes:

As you will hear in the samples, the amp ended up sounding dark and a little bassy. I partially attribute that to Peavey's design--their speaker rolled off bass frequencies quite a lot, and maybe they designed the amp around that.

I've tried to combat that: C6 dropping to .01uF, and I'd still like to go smaller. I increased input impedance at R2 as well.

The stock opamp stage can clip the power amp stage fairly easy at a setting or 7 or 8, and it really sounds like ass. I changed R9, decreasing clean channel gain, so that doesn't happen as easily. More of a cosmetic issue, but I like knobs that are useful at 1-10.

The first tube stage is largely unchanged, just a tweak to R50 and R57 to get the input signal right. The second stage changed a lot. I went using a fairly small resistor off the plate, followed by a bank of LEDs that limit the signal to 2V and thus cause clipping, then followed by the post level pot, VR3, which I increased to 50K. The cool feature is that VR3 not only trims the level off the tube stage, it also changes the amount of tube gain. So at a low setting, say 2, there is lots of second stage level, which causes the LEDs to clip, but then the signal will be strongly attenuated at VR3, so the overall volume is low.

The net effect is I can dial in any tube tone from clean to dirty, and also select LED clipping for distortion, all with two knobs :) That is the cool feature I'm going to incorporate in my tube pedal designs.

You will hear in the samples that the clean tube tone is really dark. That is partially my guitar, but still it's much darker than the clean opamp tone. I initially thought it was just the tube I picked, but now I suspect C39 (a stock Peavey cap) is way too big after I changed the value of VR3, so I'll probably change that to something much smaller, or even remove it since I can't figure out what it is for. Perhaps Peavey needed it for their lead channel, which was opamp and diode driven :confused:

The reverb section :mad: That was the bane of my existence. Yesterday I redesigned and rebuilt that thing twice, in an attempt to get a reasonable sound. Those things are a pain in the ass--you hit them with 8V and they give you 5mV in return :mad: And they are noisy as all get-out to boot :mad: :mad: I'm still trying to figure out grounding and isolation for that thing, because it imparts a nasty high frequency buzz if the knob is set north of 3. I'm looking to increase C15 as well, to drastically dump highs from the reverb signal so I can preserve them in the main signal.

The other reverb changes were the addition of two more transistor, solely to complete isolate the reverb from the rest of the circuit. In Peavey's empty holes on the PCB, they only left space for one more opamp, but I don't see how that can be done while driving the reverb hard enough and isolating the return circuit :confused: Transistors are my new best friends.

Overall, I am pleased, but there are still a few bugs that wouldn't be acceptable for a commercial product, the reverb being the biggest one. Also, there is crosstalk between the tube and clean channel when the tube pre knob is set above 7. This is understandable, as the level going into the second stage grid can be 20V or so :eek: It's kind of a cool "feature", you get a clean attack with a soft heavily distorted sustain :rolleyes: Also the increase in the VR3 value which did all those groovy things to the tube channel causes VR3 to be active as a post control on the clean channel, but not in a good way--for some reason not understood by me (my best guess it that annoying reverb input stage impedance), it causes clipping when set low :confused: So you get a quiet clipped clean channel that doesn't sound good. I solve the problem by leaving the post gain on 10 when I use the clean channel :) This is a practice amp with no footswitch, so no harm done.

Please note in reading the schemo that towards the end I got a little crazywith trying to keep up with changes I was making, so I didn't bother straightening out the numbering system. Thus the C15 I was referred to is the lower one :o

That is all, on to the audio!

Last edited:
OK, the samples. There are two tunes, the first a clip from the same stupid riff I always use for test tracks, "Every Breath You Take", the second a variation on a riff that everybody used, but I'll credit George Harrison for inventing. Each riff has:

Clean Channel
Tube Channel, set clean (pre 2 post 10)
Tube Channel, set dirty (pre 4 post 5)
Tube Channel, set clipped (pre 7 post 2)

The other amp settings were low 2 mid 5 high 7 (reflecting my EQ problem :o ) reverb 3. This was recorded using an SM81 1" from the grill, centered, into an ART Digital MPA (set to minimum tube gain, full plate voltage). All were recorded pretty quiet, because the kids are in bed and I still have zero soundproofing :( Sadly, because like nearly all amps it sounds much better loud. No post processing other than normalization.

Also, at the end of the first set, there is one "wet" track with the reverb set on 10 (and the high set on 2 to kill the stinkin' noise :mad: )

Finally the last clip is a bonus "butt rock" setting: Tube channel, pre set on 10, reverb set on 10, high set on 2. Whoever can name that tune I roughly copped wins my undying admiration :cool:

RAGE!

I shall download this 6.2 mb audio file (which on a 28.8 k modem ,is a bummer :o )

...but only in the name of love and Genius-hood! :D

Plus, I'm waiting for my hard drive to finish defragmenting, anyway :rolleyes:

Is that guitar in the background by any chance a LTD Eclipse? :D OOooooh, I love my guitar *hugs her ec-50)

And so I wait 45 minutes while downloading this little piece to find out...it stops at 49%? :eek:

*grumbles*

Dark sounding is an under statement. Peavey amps are very muddy sounding to begin with so it was pretty much like trying to polish a turd. It looks really good though.;) The mod itself is very cool and it would be interesting to hear how it sounds in a half way decent amp.

Back