Extreme newbie question

Scoot82

If i get a software program like Sonar or something and an audio interface, what will i need to create MIDI tracks in my music. any info. will be greatly appreciated.

Most nowdays sequencer has built in MIDI tone generator (or called softsynth) which can be used as MIDI playback device. In SONAR, they're called DXi, while in Cubase they are VSTi. All you have to do (at least) is to insert MIDI track and DXi in the "FX insert" box, adjust necessary setting (MIDI output port, bank, patch, etc), go to Piano Roll View, and insert notes into the song using your mouse... If you have external MIDI controller (keyboard, etc) you can record the MIDI part by playing them and record in SONAR.

;)
Jaymz

To add to James. An external midi device like a keyboard or drum machine,needs a midi interface. This differs from a Audio interface. If your using software as James pointed out there is no need for an external midi interface unless you plan on triggering or using an external device. Software like Jammerpro, Band in a Box, etc; are pretty good at generating riffs that are editable if you dont want to input note by note.
:cool:

Back