Extraordinary Sync Problem!

nowheredog1

I've been trying to record some old tapes made on the tascam 238 8-track cassete and been experiencing a strange fluttering tremeloish effect on the drums particularly the cymbals ....also it's impossible to record the different drum tracks without getting some serious timing problems/flanging effect...the cheap audio card necessitiates recording each track singularly

my current system

Abit BE-6II
Pentium 3 750 slot 1
Maxtor 30.7GB (audio)
Maxtor 10.2GB (system)
256MB PC 100
Plextor 12x10x32x
ATI Xpert 98 8MB
Win 98 SE
Linksys 10/100 ethernet LAN card
Cakewalk Proaudio 9
Creative Labs Ensoniq sound card
Opcode Midi Translator

I'd appreciate any ideas and thanks

How are you connecting to your PC from your multi-track?

There could be all sorts of problems, but I would think that the problem is in the output of your multi-track or the sound card is not functioning properly.
Is this sync problem occuring on the single track, or is it when you play multiple track together. If you are recording analog audio to wav, remember that a split second of extra lead time on each different track is enough to cause the flange effect. Every thing will sound out of sync.

In any case, with a system like yours, you should uprade to a better sound card. An SBLive(NOT SBLive Value) would be a significant improvement. If you are experienced, you might even consider a more expensive brand(an echo or aardvark would rock with your PC)With a PC of that level, you almost have to get a better sound card just to keep up.

Bigger problem

>..it's impossible to record the different drum tracks without getting some serious timing problems/flanging effect...the cheap audio card necessitiates recording each track singularly

Unfortunately, you answered your own question. Transferring in tracks singularly from an analog-driven source just can't be done for any real length of time w/o major sync and phase problems in playback. The higher freqs (cymbals) you'll hear affected almost immediately. I'm tired of this problem, too, and am investing in a multi-input SC. I'd say stepping up from any decent soundcard to a SBLive is kind of a waste except for their great quality as sampler units.. Do check out the Echo..

In the meantime, try this:
1) Mix the tracks that have no silent spots in them and transfer them all at once.
2) Transfer the tracks that often have silent pauses in them. The more you can do at once, the easier it's gonna be in the end.
3) Here's the drag. Patiently delete and insert tiny gaps of silence to match up your tracks to the first two. It can be done.. It's just work.

Good luck, Steve

Back