External preamp benefits?

GmanJeff

I've recently acquired my first multitrack recorder, a Zoom MRS-802CD, and am beginning to learn to use it. I intend to use it to record my band rehearsals so we can assess our readiness to perform, and as a practice device for myself to see how I sound individually. I don't initially plan to attempt polished productions, but would like to obtain a fair representation of what we/I sound like.

With that in mind, I am planning to buy some relatively inexpensive mics to get myself started, and am leaning towards a pair of CAD GXL2400s ($140/pr. w/shock mounts and cables) which I hope will be versatile enough for basic stereo room recording of the band as well as for vocals when individually recorded (other suggestions welcome; I'd like to keep it below $175 for a pair of mics). For individual track recording of instruments, I plan to experiment with going direct into the multitrack's on-board effects, through outboard effects units (i.e., Roland GT-6, Behringer bass v-amp), from amp (Mesa Boogie Mark IV and others) recording outs, and micing the cabinets.

Looking through the posts here, I see a lot of discussion of preamps, many of which cost more than my multitrack recorder. Is there likely to be a significant benefit to using a outboard inexpensive preamp (i.e., $100-$150) as opposed to simply going directly into the multitrack with a mic? I don't doubt that an expensive preamp adds "something" to the overall sound, but will be there much of a difference between the basic preamps built-in to the multitrack and a inexpensive outboard preamp?

Is a less expensive preamp a worthwhile device to use now, or should I wait until my needs are more sophisticated, and buy something then to go with better mics?

On a related note, would I be correct in assuming that to use a outboard preamp, I'd rotate the "line/mic" input sensitivity control on the recorder to the "line" position before connecting the preamp to the mic input?

GmanJeff said:
I've recently acquired my first multitrack recorder, a Zoom MRS-802CD, and am beginning to learn to use it. I intend to use it to record my band rehearsals so we can assess our readiness to perform, and as a practice device for myself to see how I sound individually. I don't initially plan to attempt polished productions, but would like to obtain a fair representation of what we/I sound like.

With that in mind, I am planning to buy some relatively inexpensive mics to get myself started, and am leaning towards a pair of CAD GXL2400s ($140/pr. w/shock mounts and cables) which I hope will be versatile enough for basic stereo room recording of the band as well as for vocals when individually recorded (other suggestions welcome; I'd like to keep it below $175 for a pair of mics). For individual track recording of instruments, I plan to experiment with going direct into the multitrack's on-board effects, through outboard effects units (i.e., Roland GT-6, Behringer bass v-amp), from amp (Mesa Boogie Mark IV and others) recording outs, and micing the cabinets.

Looking through the posts here, I see a lot of discussion of preamps, many of which cost more than my multitrack recorder. Is there likely to be a significant benefit to using a outboard inexpensive preamp (i.e., $100-$150) as opposed to simply going directly into the multitrack with a mic? I don't doubt that an expensive preamp adds "something" to the overall sound, but will be there much of a difference between the basic preamps built-in to the multitrack and a inexpensive outboard preamp?

Is a less expensive preamp a worthwhile device to use now, or should I wait until my needs are more sophisticated, and buy something then to go with better mics?

On a related note, would I be correct in assuming that to use a outboard preamp, I'd rotate the "line/mic" input sensitivity control on the recorder to the "line" position before connecting the preamp to the mic input?

You should be looking at a pair of Oktava MK012s or a pair of GT 44 tube mics (on sale at GC for $199/ea). Both will handle room recording chores nicely.

Pre-amps. Stick with your built-in pre-amps and start learning how to record. When it is time to consider anything like a pre-amp you will know because you have identified a problem through *experience* as opposed to a problem 'cause someone told you its a problem. You are making a mistake thinking that pre-amps will improve your sound because, right now, you don't *have* a sound.

No disrespect. Learn to use what you got and identify the problem for yourself. That way, you will know what will solve your problem and be able to navigate in the sea of upgrade equipment with confidence that you know what the solution *should* be.

Good Luck.

GT-44s

I'm sure they are good mics, but at their price point they have a very limited WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) at this time.

acorec said:
Learn to use what you got and identify the problem for yourself.

There's a ton of wisdom in that one sentence. Something I always have to keep reminding myself.

Bill Keane

Back