External Hard Drives

HoGung

Hello.I need to hear from anyone who has been using removeable external hard drives on stand alone digital recorders.I have a Korg D-8 with a SyQuest 1.5 gyg drive that works fine except SyQuest is 10-7 and the drive cartridges (when I can find them) are expensive.Has anyone here used the Orb 2gyb?Or should I get a Jazz and skip the rent next month?What else is there?The D-8 won't run a CD-RW.Thanks in advance,HG.

Hey HG,
We're in the same boat. So much music so little storage (or too little fundage).
I'm probably going to break down and buy something in the 2gb removable direction. the cartridges aren't too outrageous. It sure sucks that its useless to get anything bigger than 4gb. (boy the D16 would solve so many problems it seems) Right now I have an HHB CD-R hooked up to the optical port on the D8. I'm making better than decent master discs just recording in real time and for now I'm backing up my tracks straight to cd.
Tracks 1&2 on the korg = L&R on track 1 of the cd. It's very time consuming and I'm not able to bypass the sample rate converter in th cd-r (digital sync=exact clone. but the samplers in the cd-r and the D8 are formatted different so no exact clones are impossible) but the quality is good enough until I decide what to do for more storage.
Now my question for you...
How difficult is downloading tracks (data) from the D8 to computer. Which ports are used? What drivers/soundcards are needed? What special software is needed? Is the transfer straight information (an exact clone)?
Still in the Stone Age,
Dr. Nick

I have a Korg D8, and have been digitally mixing down to my computer via the Guillemot ISIS soundcard. It has a breakout box with 8 ins, 4 outs and most importantly, both optical and coax SPDIF in and out. The mixes I've done totally digital sound great! And I can use my various software programs to master the mix. The ISIS cost me $300.

Guys, sorry I don't have it available on this computer, but I will get you a web address for a great D8 user's group. It covers alot of the external hard drive questions. Also, there was a thread there that mentioned a few people had backed up their Korg files to their computer hard disks. I'll check the details, but as I recall, it had to bee done through the SPDIF connections, and the the data was backed up to the computer using the info in the manual concerning backing up to a DAT. Give me a few days, and I'll find the address and post it. The Korg RULES for portability, sound quality and PRICE!
Ranger

Ranger, thanks a bunch to you and everyone leading me out of the analog darkness into the digital light.
Dr. N

Thanks for that link.I was getting tired of learning things the hard way.This D-8 site looks like it should help some.H.G.

Back