External hard drive ?

muzeman

Hi,

I'm looking for a 40,or close,gig SCSI hard drive to back up my DAW.
Anbody know of any good deals?

Thanks,
Pete

Why SCSI if it's just a backup?

I recently got a 80GB IDE drive that is hot-swappable via USB 2.0 that backs up what I haven't decided to burn to CDR at 25MB/sec.

I simply plug it in to a USB port and BAMM I've got another drive. Works in Win98 and XP- the only two platforms I've tested it on.

The subsystem is available for about $65 + shipping from my supplier and the 80GB drive set me back a C-note.

Thanks Doc,

My workstation only has an SCSI connection,and the max single drive it will use is 40 gig.

Pete

Just got a Lacie 120 gig external hard drive that seems to be working fine. In fact, my original external hard drive is a Glyph which is allegedly optimized for sound recording however, and this is an important point for one room home studios, the Lacie is much, much guieter than the Glyph. That Glyph is noisy as can be. The fan sounds like a microwave cooking away.

I may be too late to help, but here's a few ideas.
Get an external scsi drive box (includes psu) and fit a standard SCSI internal drive in it.

IDE drives over 32gig have a "clip" jumper that forces them to 32gig - maybe some SCSI drives have that? But it should not be difficult to find a 30 or 40 gig scsi drive from a pc componant supplier - nor the external drive box to house it.

IDE drives could be used with a SCSIDE bridge adapter too.

Hey Jim,thanks!

You kind of lost me with some of the tec stuff,but is an internal scsi/external box combo a cheaper way to go than just an external hard drive,is that why your suggesting it?

I had another question,right now on my recorder I can do backup and restore to a cdrw.
For a 1 gig song,it takes about 20-30 minutes to write/read,and several discs.

Will an external hard drive be a significant improvement in speed?
If so,what should I look for to get max speed from the hard drive,rpm's?

Thanks,
Pete

What DAW do you have? They can be limited as to what you can plug into them. You may not be able to use a SCSI burner on it.
Nobody actually "makes" an external scsi hard drive - those that have been on the market are standard internal PC drives fitted in a box with a power supply. You can buy these parts yourself but you need to know a bit about scsi 'cause it needs a terminator and scsi ID set.

Hi Jim.

I have a Yamaha 2816.

Definitly can back up to an external scsi hard drive,with a 40 gig limit,or an MO drive,which I don't have a clue about.

I'm just wondering if backing up and reloading the song will be faster than using the internal cdrw?

I can fit about 3-24/48 songs on the internal hard drive,then I have to take one off to start another.

I probably don't have enough experience to set one up myself,so I'd have to buy an external one.

Thanks very much for your help,
Pete

Back