External Effects?

CraigarS

Hi all,

I'm not yet a Cubase user, so hopefully this isn't too basic of a question. As I'm considering a move away from Cakewalk though, I thought I'd ask this poser: is it possible to access the external effects in my rack (comp, verb, exciter) for post-production from Cubase? Everything in Cakewalk depends solely on plug-in DirextX effects and I'd like to leverage my rack effect investment for use in computer recording.

I know I can record a track and apply the effects chain upon initial recording. But, I'd prefer to be able to record dry then apply my rack effects to new tracks (via Send/Return or Insert), leaving the dry tracks intact (non-destructive). It's especially important for me to be able to do so when I'm ready to master my songs.

Thank you for any input you might have,

CraigarS

Are you mixing "in the box"? Or do you have an external mixer?

You can't set up your rack gear as "effects" in cubase per se. However, you CAN route individual tracks to their own outputs...send them through your gear, and then back into your soundcard input.

Better yet, route each track to its own outpute (until you run out of outputs) and then do use the sends/inserts like you normally would on a mixing board.

But I'm sure you can do those things in cakewalk as well...

Maybe I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. That's how I would tackle the situation.

Thanks for the reply trogdor,

Yes, I have an external mixer (an M-Audio Omni I/O and a Delta 66 card) that's being fed by two Behringer Eurorack 1002s that are handling all of the intruments (4 keys, e-drums, sampler, guitars and bass). So, I should be able to route a Cubase Output, through the mixer's Sends, through the effects chain, and into the mixer's inserts or returns, to a new track. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, no... that can't be done in Cakewalk. I've been trying every combination I could think of to get it to work in that environment. The only good signal I can get is through the Monitor Outs (which, of course, is a non-effected signal). I tried getting a signal back through the Channel inserts on the Omni, but it came back as a whisper-level track in Cakewalk and therefore completely useles. I finally contacted their tech support and they confirmed that it couldn't be done.

What is the limit count of the number of audio tracks I can use in Cubase? I'm not much of a MIDI guy. Sorry for so many questions, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the product. So, I'm trying to bone-up before laying down cash to buy it so I don't get stuck like I am with my current software.

Thanks again,

CraigarS

no problem..

I don't know all of the hard stats on cubase, but check out

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/music_production/index.php?sid=fbf55a851a4cd1342c9934defbfbd0b2

most people are using SX (most expensive) or SL. People also use VST, which I think is discontinued.

In Cubase, you can set up a stereo buss for each set of outputs you have. I have a delta 1010 with 8 outs. So I can have 4 stereo busses in cubase. I can route whatever combination of channels I want to these busses, and pan hard left or right if I want to separate mono signals.

is there a way with cubase and the delta 1010 that I can bring 8 channels in for real time recording then take those 8 outs (from delta 1010) to a mixer so it can be mixed for FOH at a live show?

basicly I want to monitor all 8 inputs that I can remix in a live situation.

probestyle said:
basicly I want to monitor all 8 inputs that I can remix in a live situation.

I think what you're saying is that you want to monitor AFTER it goes to tape. You can indeed do this with the delta 1010. The software "patchbay/router" allows you to route the inputs directly to the outputs while still sending them to your recording software to be recorded.

I know that I should be able to do this but I can't ever get it to work other than getting a stereo mix out of the first two outputs. What should the settings in the patchbay/router be to accomplish what I am trying to do?? I am new at this so thank you for your help.

Under H/W Out 1/2, select H/W In 1/2

Under H/W Out 3/4, select H/W In 3/4

Under H/W Out 5/6, select H/W In 5/6

Under H/W Out 7/8, select H/W In 7/8..

Then each input should be routed directly to the corresponding output.

I actually figured that out when i got home the other night. Thank you. Now is there a way that I can setup the equipment so that I could utilize my plugin effects in a live situation. In effect using cubase as an effects unit?

yes and no...

you CAN set up direct monitoring...so that your input will come out effected by whatever plugins you have selected for that track.

but there is usually a bit of latency involved...not sure if it would work in a live situation or not. Depends on which effects and how many you want to use.

Go into Device Setup... and I think it's the page where you select you audio driver. Uncheck direct monitoring.

Then, for the track you want to hear with the effects, arm the plugins you want, and click on the little "monitor" button on the track.

Adding rack mount effects

(From first post)

I know I can record a track and apply the effects chain upon initial recording. But, I'd prefer to be able to record dry then apply my rack effects to new tracks (via Send/Return or Insert), leaving the dry tracks intact (non-destructive). It's especially important for me to be able to do so when I'm ready to master my songs.

Thank you for any input you might have,

CraigarS

You can record your tracks dry then add effects from your rack mount equipment but it will take time acording to the amount of outputs you have. If you have one output then select solo on the track you want to add effects to then hook the output of your sound card to the input of your rack equipment. You can then send it back to the input of you sound card. You will have to record to a new track on your computer. Cubase will need to know what input on your sound card you are using. Do this from your sound card setup. Double click the volume speaker at the bottom of your desk top go to options select record then selct the input you are using. When you ae done recording you will end up with two tracks. The one that is dry and the one that has the effects. You can then delete the dry track, or keep it and just mute it when you do your mix down.
Another question was asked as to how many audio tracks can cubasis record. This will depend on how fast your hard drive is. I have had up to 12 audio tracks playing back at the same time while recording the 13th. I was not able to go any furhter without mixing several of the tracks into one track. My hard drive is a western digital 7200 rpm AtA 100. My motherboard is capable of raid. I have been told this will improve recording performance but have not tested it. Does anyone know if this is true.

I think these answers are overly complicated, and some of them are outright wrong.

You can use the cubase track mixer just like any mixer, and *send* to your effects just like you would with an analog board. You need an available output to act as your send, and the output will appear in your drop-down list of send effects. (call this the aux-send)

In order to hear the result, you will need to mix the output of your effect unit with the rest of the playback, just like with an analog board. If your sound-setup allows for zero latency monitoring, just plug the output of your sound gear into any input that can be zero latency monitored. (call this the aux-return)

If you wish to PRINT your effects to a seperate track on tape, record the aux-return.

If you wish to PRINT your entire mix to tape instead, record your monitor mix.

Edit: When I say "zero latency monitored" I mean hardware monitoring which is virtually zero latency (like a digital mixing board) -- usually sample accurate. Delta 44/66/1010 can do this through the control panel mixer.. RME/Nuendo 9652 can do this through totalmix etc...

indydisc im not sure if i have correctly understood you. Are you saying that it is possible to create a send in the cubase mixer which allows you to send to an external effects unit. If so could you elaborate further as i am using cubase and have been unable to locate such a feature.

Thanks

Keith

Back