Exporting MIDI from Fruity Loops

Noodlehoss

Has anyone had any luck with this? I've created a nice bass line in Fruity and would like to export the midi to use in HS2002. Whenever I try to export, the resulting midi file seems to be empty. It's strange.

It's been awhile for me, but I think you need to send the data in the step-sequencer to the piano roll, then you can save it as a MIDI file. If you just try to export it from the step-sequencer, I don't think you're actually exporting any MIDI data. I might be wrong, but try that and see if it gets you anywhere.

ed

You won't be exporting, you'll be saving. Save AS..............

I'm pretty sure that's how ya do it.

ed

What version of Fruity do you have? I have several starting at about 3 point something up to the newest. I'll install it again and figure this out for you. It's not that hard, but it does take a bit of effort to figure out where everything is in Fruity Loops. Heck, I remember controlling my POD with FL. Importing MIDI was a chellenge, too, but a little perseverence got me over that hump. I'll get back to you, but it might be tomorrow. Hang in there.

ed

One more thing....what are you using to create your bass line? Are you using one of the modules or are you using a bass wav sample and the little piano thing?

ed

Well, I was up til 4 in the morning, and I got this to work one time. I made a random series of notes in the piano roll with the 404. Then I simply went to file>export>midi file. Then the render box came up, and I made sure 'midi' was selected as the output, and that was it. I closed FL, opened Sonar, file>open> navigate to FL folder, find my midi, and it opened right up in Sonar. I never got it to work on a file less than 16 beats!??? On files smaller than that, nothing happens, in fact Fruity doesn't even open them!! I'm using FL 4, but it can't be that different. I'll dig around a bit more.

My wife is going to kill you if I spend Mother's Day on my computer!!!

ed

Not you! She's gonna kill Noodlehoss! He's the one with the problem that has me feeling like I'm on a mission now.

Moskus, we all know that it's usually all about you, but not this time, pal!!

Anyway, back to the problem at hand: I cannot believe how difficult it is to export a midi file from Fruity Loops!!! The manual is severely deficient in this department. Like I said, I can make it work, but only some of the time. Maybe Fruity is telling you whether you have a winner or not!! It only allows you to save the good stuff!!

Anyway, I'm now migrating to a higher level of piss-tivity, so I HAVE to figure this out!! Wonder why it's such a secret?? Be back later.

ed

guitar ed said:
Moskus, we all know that it's usually all about you, but not this time, pal!!
Yeah, I have a big ego, but that's just because when people just write "you" (which really isn't telling anything when you're talking among many persons ;)) it makes me feel special... :D

I had a peak into the forums for the magazine Computer Music, and it seems that there's something wrong with the "Export MIDI"-function. They claim it's a bug...

A bug that hasn't been fixed in how many version updates? You'd think they would have a handle on that by now. So is it just hit and miss? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't?

ed

I really don't know... maybe the FL guys don't think it's a big deal. It's very strange.

Only suggestion left is to write the FL guys and ask.

But wouldn't it be easier just to mount FL as a DXi and "play" FL from there?

I think it's easier to just not use FL at all, write all your stuff in Sonar, and there ya go.......instant MIDI file!! Fruity doesn't really suit the way I work. I know you can use layer channels to get the velocity stuff done, but it just seems like so much work!! Sonar is just about all you really need, IMHO.

ed

guitar ed said:
I think it's easier to just not use FL at all, write all your stuff in Sonar, and there ya go.......instant MIDI file!!
Sure, but that might not work for Noodle, you know.. ;)

Hey guys-

Just tuning back in after a long mothers day. I don't think anyone's going to have to kill me - I'm going to do my self in through sleep deprivation! Once I sit down at the computer and start trying to figure somthing out, the night slips into the wee hours in no time... I'm sure you can relate.

About the Fruity issue... I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having difficulties with this. Sometimes it makes you feel good when it's a software problem and not a user problem. Really doesn't make sense though as to why they haven't worked that out yet. From now on, I think I'll compose midi lines in cakewalk - stick to Fruity for the beats.

Thanks again for looking into it. If you find out more, please fill me in.

Back