exporting midi drum track problem

teddyastuffed

hello everyone! i have a question on exporting midi drum tracks into a wav file. essentially i use the BFD drum machine and after making a drum track with my keyboard and what not, when i try to export it into a single wav file, for some reason certain notes cut off before theyre supposed to (mainly the crashes seem to be choked when i never even input that function). i know that bfd is a ram intensive program, but i have a gig of ram and nothing else running while mixing down the midi track. so im trying to figure out if theres a way thats better than what im doing.

essentially what i do is load the BFD all.dll, then make my drum track (all in 1 midi track... that could be the problem now that i think of it). after im done with it, i try mixing down just the drum track (by soloing the drums) and then export in a stereo wav file. i then set cubase to import it back into the song and it causes this problem. i found a way around it by making multiple copies of the wav file, then cutting and pasting good parts in the old mixdown to the bad parts in the new track and vica versa. i know theres probably something i can do so i wont have to go through that process, but im all out of ideas. so any help would be greatly appreciated. i heard about bouncing tracks before, but i dont really know what that is or what it means (if its even applicable to the situation).

thanks!

here is a quick copy of the bad sound (only the drums):

and here hte entire song how it hsould sound

Last edited:
Yup. You need to bounce to a stereo track or two tracks. Don't know how to do it in your software though. I am a Logic Audio user.

Good Luck.

mmmmmmmm i see, could someone explain to me what bouncing a track IS exacly? and maybe i should move this post to the cubase forum. sorry for the misplace of the thread. i thought this was a recording technique :/

teddyastuffed said:
mmmmmmmm i see, could someone explain to me what bouncing a track IS exacly? and maybe i should move this post to the cubase forum. sorry for the misplace of the thread. i thought this was a recording technique :/

Bouncing is the process of taking several tracks of audio and combining (mixing) them together onto a single track. This was commonly done in analog (especially 4-track cassette) recording because there were fewer tracks available for recording. Bouncing frees up tracks, but once something is bounced (mixed with other tracks), you lose control over the individual tracks (as far as effects, eq, etc.). In computer based recording, bouncing is less common. It may be used to submix drums or background vocals to add certain effects. However, Cubase can do grouped tracks, which is probably better than actual bouncing for most situations, because the original tracks remain intact.

As per your question about drums, I am not familiar enough with BFD to give you a good answer. However, midi files must be turned into audio files before you can create your final mixdown. If your program can render individual drums to separate files, that will give you more options later. However, you could also combine the midi drum files into a single stereo track.

just set your soundcard record options to record 'what u hear' and say you've made the midi file in cubase, hit record on either cubase or another program and then play the midi file. u'll get an exact recording of what you hear when creating it...

Back