Experimental Composition

Phrasemaker

Hi, Not Had lot of time to put in here lately due to taking on more working on other people's music than my own. Now I have some time I'm sort of picking up where I left off albeit experimenting with a couple of less familiar scales. Not sure what to do with this yet, I will be working with a vocally acrobatic female singer soon, so might add to this or take the concept forwards and re score it here and there.

First impressions of the mood is what I'm looking for if any kind folk would would take a couple of minutes to listen.

Many thanks

Tim

The melody intro has your melancholy stamped all over it.
the drums once fully happening are a cross between Ant Music & Japanese trad drumming - both are big & primal.
The melody on synth sounds slightlly more Arabic that on piano. A little bit like the Tea Party but without the OTT Rockist stance.
The rebuild is more "ethnic/world music" partly due to the tambourine matching the drums.The tempo rise does suggest whirling dirvishes & the guitar solo ending is good - though cuts to hard at the end.
I like it Tim, I can hear you singing the melody.

Thanks for listening Ray, really appreciate it. The track intro and low end gave me a chance to try some bass sounds beyond what I've done before, having as you know only been playing five mins. The synth is all played using a Hindu scale, so I'm glad it has that eastern feel to it. I am pondering the vocal element, might have to get a couple of vocals on there. If nothing else it gives me a platform and some sound options I've not tried before on a track. Yes with hindsight the last guitar part could have continued further. I still have everything set up for the guitar tone I used here so I'll likely re play it. Being still relatively new to recording, I'm still finding elements of my sound and I think I have something to take forward from this.

Many thanks

Tim

Very intriguing rhythm and melody. To me the whole piece had a Eastern tribal feel to it. Nice guitar work at the end. I am looking forward to hearing the finished product. :thumbs up:

Thank you very much Gutarpima and Illsidgus, yes it probably does need to lead somewhere, I'll have some time this week to get back on to this and add to it or possibly change it about in that process. It's not going to be easy to find simple ways to forge on with it, but I do enjoy a bit of problem solving. I really appreciate you taking time to listen and comment. Thank you very much.

all the best

Tim

Just my 2 cents, but the whole score (so far) seems like an intro to something. The pounding drums seems like a set up for the score to breakout into something up tempo.

Now on what is there so far.... it is very cool. Well recorded and mixed. Moody but not overdramatic. I like it.

I like where it's going as well. I also have a tendency to write short pieces that could probably be used in a score, but on their own may not be "complete" tunes. That's just the way things come out sometimes.

One thing I would recommend from a mix perspective - I think the entire piece needs more space. I would add some deep reverb (definitely w/ highs rolled off) to the drums and to a somewhat lesser extent to the overall mix. I think that might help give it a little more of what the music suggests. At least that's what it suggests to me. :D

Back