Experiences w/Guitar Tracks?

gmiller1122

Addled but happy
Just wondering. I like that it seems very easy to use. It costs more than Sonar Home Studio, though. I write and record straight-forward rock/pop/blues stuff.

Do you like it? Why? What limitations have you found?

Thanks
G

gmiller1122 said:
Just wondering. I like that it seems very easy to use. It costs more than Sonar Home Studio, though. I write and record straight-forward rock/pop/blues stuff.

Do you like it? Why? What limitations have you found?

Thanks
G

I've been using gtp3 for over a year now and would not trade it for anything, very easy to use, editing is a breeze, automation is great......could use some midi features though. :D

jpw23 said:
I've been using gtp3 for over a year now and would not trade it for anything, very easy to use, editing is a breeze, automation is great......could use some midi features though. :D

Thanks. So, for someone like me who doesn't use MIDI, it will work well then! Have you by any chance used Sonar Home Studio? If so, how do the two compare?

Finally, Guitar Tracks says it comes with backing rhythms -- are these drum samples or entire songs that you can't manipulate?

Thanks again.

G

The samples are drum & bass loops that will play in the tempo (& pitch) of your project.

I use GT3 & thinks it's really good at what it does. Not sure why it's more expensive than HS. It has only 32 tracks & no midi, compared to 64 tracks & midi in HS... Used to be that HS could only record 2 tracks at a time, not sure if that is still a restriction.

Technology-wise, GT3 is based on the Sonar 3 audio engine, while HS is based on the more recent Sonar 5 release, and has Rewire support. If you think you'll ever get into using synths, midi etc, I would recommend HS over GT3. Just make sure it's got multitracking capability

I have Sonar 4 which is much better but I always use guitar tracks to record because its easier to use and i guess im more used to it. I've been using it for a few years now and I would reccomend it to everyone unless you need to work with MIDI.

I used it a while ago but found it very limited in what I could do with it. I went from a cassette based 8-track to computer recording with Guitar Tracks. It really wasnt a change because I still had to juggle 8 tracks. The advantage that I got was in the fact that I could program my midi drums on the computer instead of the key pads.

I found that I needed more than 8 tracks, even for for 4 parts. I found that the ability to have lots and lots of tracks (midi & audio) allows me to noodle around more and experiment [and mute] tracks that I don't want. I upgraded to Sonar 2 and I've just upgraded that to Sonar 5.

kurtteej said:
I used it a while ago but found it very limited in what I could do with it. I went from a cassette based 8-track to computer recording with Guitar Tracks. It really wasnt a change because I still had to juggle 8 tracks. The advantage that I got was in the fact that I could program my midi drums on the computer instead of the key pads.

I found that I needed more than 8 tracks, even for for 4 parts. I found that the ability to have lots and lots of tracks (midi & audio) allows me to noodle around more and experiment [and mute] tracks that I don't want. I upgraded to Sonar 2 and I've just upgraded that to Sonar 5.

I'm confused -- I thought GT had up to 32 tracks? Or is that just a selling point, then the truth comes out when you actually try it? :confused:

gmiller1122 said:
I'm confused -- I thought GT had up to 32 tracks? Or is that just a selling point, then the truth comes out when you actually try it? :confused:

Guitar Tracks is an older version of the program, it only had 8 stereo tracks, when they changed it to Guitar Tracks Pro they upped the track count to 32.

Back