Expanding the Output Options of an 8pre

Mattman84

I saw this question asked in another thread, but it was never really answered, so here we go...

I'd like to expand the output options of an 8pre by using the ADAT outputs. I doubt there is, but is there a unit that basically takes ADAT in and routes that to analog outs?

The reason I'm asking is for separate monitor/headphone mixes. I have the Behringer HA4700 headphone amp. It can accept separate inputs for each of its 4 channels, and then route each channel to 3 separate pairs of phones.

The idea would be to use Cue Mix to send a separate mix over 4 channels of the adat connection, into whatever unit I'm looking for, and have that output analog audio to the HA4700, which could provide 4 separate mixes. Add that to the headphone out and monitor outs on the 8pre and I would essentially have 6 unique mixes...if it works.

If there's no unit like the one I described, would something like the Behringer ADA8000 work? I wouldn't necessarily need the extra pres, but at least they're there.

Behringer ADA8000 takes ADAT in and routes to 8 analog outs and takes 8 analog ins and routes to ADAT.

Seems like this should work for you. They are quite inexpensive. I used three of them in conjunction with an alesis unit for routing to an external mixer.

Hope this helps,

Glen

+1 for the ADA8000. I use mine all the time for this purpose. It's ashame other companies haven't followed suit and used this design. Extremely useful. My ADA8000 works very well BTW.

Yeah I wouldn't rely on Behringer for converters if it was going into your computer to record, but if you're just using it for a bunch of outputs to go to the artists, then it will be fine.

If you don't mind recording at 24/48 the MOTU 2408 Mk2 is the swiss army knife of I/0. This unit will handle 24 tracks of TDIF & ADAT, and 8 Analogue tracks in nearly any combination. ADAT sync for sample accurate clocking... You can find them used for a few hundred... I love mine. Might be more then you're looking for, but I thought I'd toss it out there for comparison

If you don't mind recording at 24/48 the MOTU 2408 Mk2 is the swiss army knife of I/0. This unit will handle 24 tracks of TDIF & ADAT, and 8 Analogue tracks in nearly any combination. ADAT sync for sample accurate clocking... You can find them used for a few hundred... I love mine. Might be more then you're looking for, but I thought I'd toss it out there for comparison

How about just a regular 2408? Do you know about it? I can't seem to find much info on it, but this Ebay auction looks like it'll go cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250226674739&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

I can't tell if it's got ADAT on it, but that's what appears to be below the big serial connectors. Any thoughts?

I just read this on MOTU's website:

When the 8pre operates as an optical expander, CueMix is hard-wired to route each analog input to its corresponding optical output channel (analog in 1 to optical out 1, analog in 2 to optical out 2, and so on).

Does this mean that my plan would not work? If an ADA8000 was hooked up to it via ADAT, would it ONLY route analog inputs 1-8 to optical outputs 1-8? Or could I send one of the 4 bus mixes to optical 1-2, and another to 3-4?

Oh, and as a side note, music123.com still has a sale going on from St. Patrick's day. Most of their stuff gets $15 off a $100 purchase, $50 off $250, and $100 off $500. MOTU's included in that, so if you put an 8pre or other MOTU interface in your cart it'll instantly be $100 less. $450 for an 8pre is pretty good. Free shipping too.

How about just a regular 2408? Do you know about it? I can't seem to find much info on it, but this Ebay auction looks like it'll go cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250226674739&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

I can't tell if it's got ADAT on it, but that's what appears to be below the big serial connectors. Any thoughts?
I looked at the auction, and yes, that's probably a mk2... although I didn't see the proprietery PCI card included... And yes again, Those were ADAT ports under the TDIF ports... Three sets of eight channel I/O...

You should be able to read the manual on the MOTU site... I believe the features are identical to the Mk3 currently offered... but the 3 clocks up to 96, the Mk2 only to 48 khz

Back