Expanding Studio Equipment

reverbdk

I am working with one mic (SM57), an 8 channel mixer, and recording software via firewire, but I'd like to expand my equipment choices and options. Of course there are many different aspects of your studio you can upgrade at any given time, but at this point I think my priorities are in a bigger microphone selection to capture better vocals and my acousic guitar. I'm banking on buying a Rode NT1A. Then, next time I have the money, I'll invest in a decent mic pre-amp.

What have you all focused on when expanding your studio equipment while in the noob stage?

Arcadeko speaks the truth. Searching this forum will find you the same answer multiple times over. I did not believe it until I did it. Not as fun as mics or a preamp, but 40 Helens agree that it will be your next best step.

I'd start at the source and work from there to figure what the weakest link is and upgrade that, thinking about the following sort of things, then rinse and repeat until you are happy with your signal chain or have run out of money

Performance? Let's be honest, for many of us, maybe lessons could be an upgrade since you will play/sing/drum or whatever better
Room? Maybe a simple pack of heavy moving blankets, or a couple of bass traps/GOBOs (on stands that can be put away when you are done if that is a factor) to get the room to perform better for recording and mixing
Monitoring? can you accurately hear what you are playing back (assumes room is under good control)
Mics? Where the noise first becomes voltage and the closest piece of gear to the source, is what you have right for what you need to record and does it fit your voice or instrument(s) in a way that you find pleasing
Pre amps? where those wimpy mic level signals come up to line level. Enough gain, enough channels, enough headroom, not too much noise, work well with your mics, add the color/mojo or clarity that you are looking for
Outboard signal processing? If you use it, is it up to the task, doesn't add noise, have enough channels, pleasing sound etc
Converters? where the analog voltages become zeros and ones, enough Headroom, enough channels, good clarity and accuracy

YMMV

I've been monitoring through a set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers hooked up to a receiver (Talk about noisy), and a pair of AKG k240 headphones. I think the next step should almost DEFINITELY Be studio monitors. The room itself is a whole different ball game. I'm in a basement, and basically have to work on stuff when the washer/dryers aren't running and when the A/C isn't blowing. Thanks for reminding me about reinforcing the necessity of a good recording: WHAT MY FRIGGIN EARS HEAR.

Back