Existing project: 16-bit -> 24-bit

chewbacca

I'm a newbie around here--referred by someone on the www.comomusic.com message board. This looks like a pretty cool site!

Anyway, I want to replace some wav files in my session, but keep all the session edits (levels, pan, volume envelopes) and precise file locations.

The new files should be the same length and volume as the old.

Also, I want to "convert" my 16-bit session to a 24-bit session and keep all those edits.

Basically, I did my "playing around" with some 16-bit files in a 16-bit session, and now that I have everything sounding like I want it, I want to replace those 16-bit files with 24-bit versions of the same audio tracks, and create a 24-bit mix.

Is that doable and/or does anyone know how?

I'm using v1, but have a trial (that hasn't yet run out) of the Adobe version, so I could use that version if I have to, but I'd rather not. Sometimes when I open my v1 session files in v2, the envelopes get whacky.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Charles

It would be pointless....

just make sure you're running 32-bit mixing (under settings) and finish your track. The minimal, minimal, minimal benefits you'd gain (which I doubt anyone can hear) by adding 32-bit effects to 16-bit tracks you'd lose more than once when you dither down to 16-bit for cd-burning, mp3 encoding, etc...

You'll have to record your tracks at 32-bit if you'd like the benefit from them.

That said, you can hit "convert sample type" under EDIT in editor mode

-Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris!

Does "convert sample type" change the .ses file or the .wav file? I think I should be able to get the 24-bit .wav files in by copying over them with the 24-bit file. The problem then is getting the .ses (that I unknowingly created as a 16-bit file) to do 24-bit.

Actually, everything was recorded in 24 (or 20) bit at the studio. It was mixed with Pro Tools to spit out 24-bit files, which are the "master" mixes of the songs. These files were then dumped onto an audio CD for a 16-bit daily. It took some time before I could get my hands on the original 24-bit master files, so I went ahead and used the 16-bit data from the daily audio CD to mix in a few more effects and such at my home studio using Cool Edit.

I got everything sounding good with the 16-bit data, but I was just finally able to get ahold of the original 24-bit mix data, which I want to substitute in. Then from THESE 24-bit files, I want to create one more 24-bit mix to send to the mastering house.

That's my contorted plan, anyway!!

A-ha,

this is a different kind of issue. I don't have time now, but I'll experiment in a bit and hopefully I (or someone more knowledgable [or someone who knows how to spell knowledgable] ) can come up with an answer.

Im sure Adobe's new and improved support team can give you the answer immediately.

-Chris

Back