exhibit 1: one-man band with bad drum samples

Boy you're keeping me busy. :D

I really like that new guitar part. Much better, and a nice addition to the tune. This thing is really shaping up.

Now about those pops....

:D

you say you're done, so...

anyway I enjoyed the tune, having heard the "final" version "reloaded" only, what I hear works for me. Kinda' Crimson'ish (of the King variety)

very nice work, loved the chord selections and changes

I like this tune but...

The lead guitar entrance is on the wrong note - it's clashing tremendously against the background. Really - the tone is nice and I think the guitar is tuned OK 'cause it sounds OK throughout the melody line but that entering note just ain't related to that chord in any way that I can imagine. I sang along with it and sang up an octave and down an octave - it's really a square peg in a round hole. At 2:37 it happens again - this time it's as a passing tone and doesn't send me to the ceiling - but it's a bad sound in my opinion. I'll take the flack back if this was an intentional venture into the 12-tone scale or something but I think it's just an unintentional error. Other than that - the guitar line added a lot of interest. The blending of differnet tones is nice, too. You're getting into a nicely developing tune here!!
~Milan

MC,

First, thanks for keeping on this and giving advice.

When I first started developing this tune I was going for an atonal quality; hence the back and forth movement between F#m and Gm in the one part. I did not realize it at the time, but the notes in the two chords are tritone movements, which is quite dissonant.

As far as the bent note entry to the guitar 'solo', I just trusted my ears to tell me whether it fits. Since your comment I have listened to that section repeated and to me it still works, but with a dissonant quality to it consistant with the song. Is it the best choice of note, probably not. I'm open to suggestions.

I appreciate your help.

DC

In my book - a decision made in good conscience with a firm application of forethought is beyond reproach!! I rescind the remark. Don't worry - I get pissed off with Bartok's music, too!! You still have a really cool tune working here!!
~Milan

MC,

No need to rescind anything. I truly do appreciate all the input from everyone. Years ago I had an art teacher who really helped me understand art by making the statement something to the effect that "good art evokes an emotion, be it beauty, peacefulness, anger, frustration." That was a real door opener. And I'm not implying my song is good art.

I've kept this thread on life support long enough, so to everyone a goodnight.

DC

I agree with MC Gitarz (but I have to admit: I personally never get pissed off with Bartók's music :eek: :D ....not even Schnittke's)

Mind you: I'm not allergic to dissonances, quite the contrary. But the place where you put them can be very important, especially in works that are quite 'tonal' like these.

It just isn't a very nice note to enter. In my opinion you can put it everywhere but right there in the beginning. It's the old story about building tension. Do you want to build tension right from the start? And does that work?

Well, maybe you think it works. In that case you're right. Simple as that. :)

Back