Execution vs Cosposition

Phrasemaker

I always find it interesting how the various combinations of solid lyrics and emotive performance determine how a song connects with the listener. I'm sure many of us could think of tracks where the lyrics are not immediately that profound but the execution of them makes it all become greater than the sum of parts. I'm been warming up to do an original over the last week knowing have some days at home, and thought I'd experiment with a cover unusually for me, that I could bash out on the joanna without having to get bogged down with something complex. I chose a Neil Young track because he often delivers beyond what the track if seen on paper might suggest. I don't for one second think I'll ever get anywhere near his delivery and as an individual I don't want to emulate another artist, but I kind of enjoyed connecting with the song through the singing of it. I stereo mic'd the piano for a change and yes the different elements of my poor attempt probably don't gel like they might and I didn't have a harmonica in the right key so had to bluff improvise the instrumental with the first guitar that came to hand, but I'd say I learned from the experience.

All the best

Tim

Last edited:
Nice interpretation.
Personally I prefer the sections without the synth as the starkness of the piano & vocal suits the melody & lyric. It may be that the reverb or delay on the synth (or just the sound of it) suggests it's from another space.
The solo works but my ear expected it about 3 beats earlier - I don't know if that's from the original (I actually watched a BBC IN Concert 1970 NY gig last week).
It's interesting to hear someone sing this in a different register.
I'm actually toying with the idea of a cover at present. A real fav track of mine that's probably a bit cheesie.

Nothing wrong with a chunk of cheese occasionally, as long as doesn't become the diet of choice ;-) Yes I pondered the synth and it can easily be spirited from the mix at the touch of a button. I can't get up high enough so had to sing it where my voice sits in its lower slot, the solo seems vary in different versions and I probably came in where it felt natural to me at the time, it was a case of me needing something to play around with until I got a slot to cobble an original together, I got some value out of it and a greater insight into the track. I don't plan on doing too many covers, but one now and then can help with beating the block through it inspiring something else to sprout, plus it provides an opportunity to do something tangible without having to start from the ground up. I'm pondering some chords as I type, so hopefully an original I can get started with. Thanks for listening and replying Ray, much appreciated.

all the best

Tim

Really good, Tim! It's new ground for you and I enjoyed it.

I must admit that even though I was born in the 60s and grew up in the 70s/80s, I do not recall this song by Neil Young, so it was completely new to me.

I listened to your track first, before reading your intro comments. That always helps me to avoid forming preconceptions. I immediately drew an impression of the "Counting Crows" from your vocals, the delivery, and the general atmosphere of the song. I liked their song "A Long December"; in fact it's the only song by them that I've ever heard, but the atmosphere in your track immediately brought it to mind.

You should add it to your others and make a full CD!

Cheers,
Joseph

Joseph, Many thanks for listening and your thoughts, much appreciated. Yes I have an album in my sights and the idea is to work on new material until later this year and then I'll have 25-30 tracks to pick from, which will give plenty of scope to pick a dozen or so which I feel represent the best of my creativity over almost two years since I started on this journey. I will listen to the "Counting Crows" and get an idea of your impression. All the best Joseph.

Many thanks

Tim

Awesome, Tim. I look forward to listening to your final collection, so please keep us updated. Regarding the "Counting Crows", I am only familiar with one of their songs; "A Long December". The general atmosphere of your track reminded me of the song. Upon listening to your song a second time, I drew the same impression and I also heard some influence from the Beatles in a spot or two. Good stuff and nice use of the piano.

Cheers,
Joseph

Back